Replace DUI Trilam Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidfricks

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I have a DUI TLS 350, and I read that if you push down and twist, you can take apart your low profile dump valve. Since I had been having problems getting it to vent, I decided to give it a try. Just as described the bottom twisted right off.
:11: What I didn’t realize was that the top part was glued to the suit with bead of silicone. I only pealed back the suit a little before I realized it was glued, but the seal was broken. I got wet on my next dive.

I searched the forum trying to find out what type of silicon sealant to use and finally ended up calling DUI for advice. The DUI rep was very friendly. Not only did she tell me exactly what type of sealant to use, she went on to tell me exactly where and how to apply the sealant. I found that DUI uses Clear DOW CORNING® RTV 732 MULTI-PURPOSE SEALANT, and that it should be applied in a small bead along the innermost ring.

The rep said you can get it in a hardware store, but I didn't have any luck with OSH or Home Depot. I found it online but didn't want to wait to have it shipped. I ended up looking up local distributors at www.dowcorning.com and finding it at APPLIED INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES INC. The 4 oz green tube of adhesive ended up costing me $5.

I was able to remove all the old sealant with my nail, and didn't have any trouble screwing the valve back together with a small bead of RTV 732 along the innermost ring.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what I learned in case anyone else has a leaky valve that needs to be resealed or replaced.

Thanks David F. :)

Regular GE Silicone II clear silicone, that you can easily get at Home Depot or Lowes, would've worked fine. You just don't want to be putting AquaSeal under the valve.

francousteau:
Regular GE Silicone II clear silicone, that you can easily get at Home Depot or Lowes, would've worked fine. You just don't want to be putting AquaSeal under the valve.

Why not??? thought it was a cure all??

I just repositioned my inflator on my tls350 and it dove dry and worked fine, I don't think I will be able to remove it though.

thats why because if and when you try to remove it to service it you wont because to thats why they silicone it on because its a good sealer but not a glue.

mirrocraft:
thats why because if and when you try to remove it to service it you wont because to thats why they silicone it on because its a good sealer but not a glue.
Will the same silicone sealant work on the inlet valve? My NEXUS suit was leaking from the vicinity of the inlet valve. So I took it apart to take a look at it and found that the sealant had partially disintegrated into small rubbery bits of debris. I took the valve all the way out of the suit and sure enough the sealant ring was only 3/4 intact. I'm willing to try a diy fix for the experience. After all, if I totally screw it up, there's a Whites repair shop ~40 miles down the road.

Back
Top Bottom