Repairing a Sidemint Wing. Bladder Tear in Difficult Spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also I rarely need to inflate it to an extent where extreme force could be applied to the glue so I think this is good to go as a rec wing. Just keep in mind not to over-inflate it.

Also maybe you can tweak/change the overinflation value so that it can be engaged earlier/softer than it is now?

The glue I used is quite strong, but flexible, I'm impressed. I suppose I might as well give a shout out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIOP83Q

I'll have to see how well it does on other materials, though it only specifies vinyl on the can.

I don't know how to adjust the over-inflate valve, but I think it's fine. It does seems to be a very nice wing, so I'm excited to try it for real. I've never needed any wing to be anywhere close to full, usually my problem is emptying air.

A life-interruption ended my dive-season last year a little early, but I've finally swapped the wing! No dives yet on the wing, but my next dive(s) will be with the wing, one-way-or-another. I have redundant bouyancy (and air), will be diving near shores, and am not overweighted so even in the unlikely event it fails, it's not a big deal. It still holds air fine after 6-7 months in storage.

I wasn't entirely sure if the ideal-config is as shown, or to have the flexible-back-plate and harness on the outside (I've seen both), but either way it's diveable and easy to re-configure. Just based on on-land testing, the rig is a little more comfortable, seems to dump air easier, and I can reach the dump-valve easier. Dives should be within the next 1-2 weeks.

20220610_140313.jpg

20220610_140436.jpg

20220610_140651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom