Reorganizing Marine Science & Physiology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
As part of the ongoing effort to make information easier to find on ScubaBoard, we will be reorganizing the Marine Science & Physiology forum by splitting it into Marine Science & Conservation and Diving Physics & Physiology forums. Diving Physics & Physiology (and related sub-forums) will be moved into the Scuba Diving Central category. Threads will be moved to their related forums as time allows. As you can imagine, it will be a fairly time consuming and labor-intensive process. We apologize in advance for any confusion that this process might cause.

In addition, a new Marine Science Pros forum will be created in the ScubaBoard Pro category.

As part of the ongoing effort to make information easier to find on ScubaBoard, we will be reorganizing the Marine Science & Physiology forum by splitting it into Marine Science & Conservation and Diving Physics & Physiology forums. Diving Physics & Physiology (and related sub-forums) will be moved into the Scuba Diving Central category. Threads will be moved to their related forums as time allows. As you can imagine, it will be a fairly time consuming and labor-intensive process. We apologize in advance for any confusion that this process might cause.

In addition, a new Marine Science Pros forum will be created in the ScubaBoard Pro category.
Hmmm. I understand and concur, but it makes it a little difficult for those of use for whom Marine Science IS about physics.... We will survive. :)

Hmmm. I understand and concur, but it makes it a little difficult for those of use for whom Marine Science IS about physics.... We will survive. :)

Do you think that differentiating between diving physics and physics as it applies to the marine sciences will be that confusing?

Do you think that differentiating between diving physics and physics as it applies to the marine sciences will be that confusing?
No...that is why I said I concur with your decision.

Wondering in unqualified ways, hence asking, not arguing. You have your reasons, I ma sure:

Is the Marine Science Pro forum open to non-Pros to read or closed?
If the latter, why?
What is the demarkation line between the pro and non pro marine science forums?
Might my hypothetical dumbass question thread be moved from the non-pro to the pro forum if one or several pros found it interesting enough to chime in (if they still bother after having their own space without the ignorants like me)?

Is the Marine Science Pro forum open to non-Pros to read or closed?
If the latter, why?

Open... for now but that could change if needed. The Commercial Divers forum is open and has worked OK. Do you feel that Marine Science Pro should be restricted?

What is the demarkation line between the pro and non pro marine science forums?

It isn't formally defined at this point but I would say receiving a check (or wanting to) would be the primary differentiation. Again, the Commercial Divers forum influenced my thinking on this. We are open to suggestions to improve the forum title or description that would make it more clear.

Do you work in, or want a career in, the marine sciences? Scientists, technicians, educators, boat crews, and students can post information and questions here.​

Might my hypothetical dumbass question thread be moved from the non-pro to the pro forum if one or several pros found it interesting enough to chime in (if they still bother after having their own space without the ignorants like me)?

Maybe. Would that be a problem? IMHO there are no dumbass questions that are sincere; no matter how basic. Let's not forget that the purpose of asking a question is to cure ignorance on the subject.

We are all here to learn and members are free to share their expertise or not.

I'd like to think that an answer you get from a question on the Pro forum might be a bit more credible than an answer you'd get from some arbitrary forum. I'd like to think that.

I'd like to think that an answer you get from a question on the Pro forum might be a bit more credible than an answer you'd get from some arbitrary forum.

I try to remember that credibility in any highly diverse public forum depends on providing justification for opinions. It is also very educational when done well. "Akimbo" and "tursiops" don't have Wikipedia pages so it's hard for readers to judge if we are "experts" or just Internet crackpots.

NOT directed at tursiops:
:soap:
ScubaBoard members should never presume that their reputation precedes them. As a result, we should try to illustrate answers with the reasoning behind them. Fortunately that can often be done with links rather than turning every reply into a technical paper.

Back
Top Bottom