Renting gear for vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BryantH

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, been lurking for a while and finally have a question.

I'm a professional photographer on the side, and am looking to carry it over into my diving. I don't dive 50+ times a year normally, but do get in a good amount. Not sure if I would like to drop a ton of cash into a setup if I'm not going to be doing it often.

I was looking into rentals of the smaller camera variety, as I am going on a week long trip to Cozumel, but at that price for a week rental, I might as well just buy one honestly. I have a 1dsMk3 and thought about a full housing, but even more crazy.

Any suggestions for what to do in this situation? Places with reasonable rentals/what cameras to look at and stay away from for renting, and possibly buying!

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. $5000 for a dive housing for my Nikon D2x? Plus lighting stuff, etc. No thanks. Not now at least. I'm using the following:
-GoPro Hero2 - $250
-GoPro Dive Housing - $45
-Red filter - $14 (But I'll be purchasing the Backscatter flip uo for $49 once I get back)
-Intova Imini light - $30 (used)
-Flashlight mount - $25 from my buddy who machines billet pieces
-Sea Life Mount - Free (Sure you can find it used)
-Random hardware (straps, etc.) - $10

So as you can see it's not too expensive of a setup, takes great photos & video. This photo is of everything except the light mount finished:
i-4rbBhzB-XL.jpg

No video/photos yet, but there are tons of examples here on the forum.

BTW: Enjoy a maple creemee for me. Man do I wish they made them down here. They are addicting, especially at Burlington Bay Cafe! We just have vanilla, chocolate, or twist.

Yeah I have a gopro that I used last time with the dive housing, but the photos were god awful and not anywhere near what I was looking for. Not interested in the video ability.

Funny that you know of the BBC, so good! I'm originally from West Chester btw.

Yeah I have a gopro that I used last time with the dive housing, but the photos were god awful and not anywhere near what I was looking for. Not interested in the video ability.

Funny that you know of the BBC, so good! I'm originally from West Chester btw.

Are you using a flat lens housing and a red filter? The photos are worse than cell phone photos when using the non-Dive housing, and color is shot without the red filter at depth (from my research).

Small world! I think I'd rather be in Burlington during the warmer months, and WC during the colder months. My g/f went to UVM so I was up there several times. Also loved this drive in style place, I think it may have been up in Winooski, or past the University Mall - forget the name.

Yeah I had a flat lens and a red filter. I guess I was expecting quality like I get from my DSLR...

Haven't heard of the place. What was there?

Yeah I had a flat lens and a red filter. I guess I was expecting quality like I get from my DSLR...

Haven't heard of the place. What was there?

Ah, hmm. I guess I'll find out once I get back from Bonaire later this summer if I am happy or not. I'm now preparing to be unhappy lol.

I found it. "Al's French Frys" on Williston Road in South Burlington. Man, I love that state (In summer).

YES AL's!!!

I didn't mean to bum you out. The images just arent what are produced by most photos you see on this site from it. I got great photos at 10-15, but after that.... :nuke:

you can always rent a camera with housing (compact camera) from your Dive shop for a somewhat decent price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom