Rentals vs Buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
I thought I would post this information as it might help some of you out.

When I got certified like most people I could not afford to spend $1000-1500 getting all the gear right up front, so I had to rent.

I was paying $15-25 a weekend for the regulator/spg etc
$10 for the BC
$5-7 for the tank

This depended on where I went. After about 5 weekends of renting I realized that is a lot of money going right out the door, the only upside I found was that I got to try 3 different regs out.

So one day sitting here I thought how can I afford to buy my own gear? The answer was pretty simple, could I rent my own gear? Now you might think that an invalid answer but if you think about it, LDS's sell off rental gear, often yearly, so they buy new stuff and sell old stuff. And they want YOUR business as that is where they make their money, not really much profit in teaching, just a means to get you more porficient and excited which leads to more and better gear. So why not buy the gear you want and rent it, then when it is paid off it is yours.

So what did I do? I simply asked? The shop I go to is in Grapevine Texas http://www.grapevinescuba.com I had been in there several times and decided to pose the question, could I have him order me gear and rent it till it is paid off. To my surprise, C.B. (the owner) said sure we can do that. So I set about picking out my gear, and the rest is history. I have since almost paid off my gear and now he lets me keep it since I own most of it, then I give him payments on it.

So if you are looking to get new gear, why not ask your LDS if you can order what you want and rent it till it is paid for. It can't hurt to ask!

Another option is if you find rental gear you like why not ask if you can buy it. If they rent a lot it might be a good way to get you some gear at a good price since it may be almost paid off so if they sell it to you at half cost they still make money if it has been rented out enough to pay for 2/3rds of the cost?

ok SYRUSS

so you rented your own equiptment? How much was the final price? The shop had to make money, I'm not even liked that much. how long has it taken you to pay it off?

What equipment did you decide upon?

Final Price: $525

U.S. Divers Impulse 1st/2nd Stage
U.S. Divers Octo
Sunto Pivot II guages w/ Compass
BC Hose

I was paying $40 for rentals that he credited towards the purchase. I ended up getting some money I was not expecting so I paid off a large portion of it early. I still owe like $125 or so.

I could have gotten better on the internet, but not gotten the support and warranty so that was worth it to me.

And the gear is great, the regulator works very well even in the cold water at the bottom of Clear Springs.

lets see $525 for Reg and console, less the $125 that you sill owe, making $400 paid at $40 a dive that's 10 days of diving. Correct?

You're wearing good stuff BUT

you mention nothing about a BC still another amount here $15
There needs to be exposure protection $5

I take that the tank rental is $5 a day also but that is a given unless you plan to buy.

A tad too much maths for my poor baby brain....but congrates on getting ur gear syruss....now you have no excuses for going diving --- not that you'd ever use any ! :bounce:

Our LDS had a program where a portion of your rental amount went towards the purchase price of that particular piece of gear. I used mine to buy tanks! It was great!!

Originally posted by Fishkiller
lets see $525 for Reg and console, less the $125 that you sill owe, making $400 paid at $40 a dive that's 10 days of diving. Correct?

You're wearing good stuff BUT

you mention nothing about a BC still another amount here $15
There needs to be exposure protection $5

I take that the tank rental is $5 a day also but that is a given unless you plan to buy.

You are very observant. Though I bought my BC on ebay cause I need a 2X and not many places rent them. I can wear and XL but it is not as comfortable. So I got a 2X Dacor Flytpak for $289 with shipping. And my wife bought me a stylin aluminum tank with decal on it for our 2.5 year aniversary. (great deal on that, got it for the price of a regular tank because he was all out, so he said he'd sell me that one for the same price so I got a tank that sells on ebay for $179 for $134 at the LDS. Not Bad!)

And I bought a 4X Akona Shorty for $76 when I took my OW class. So now I have it all. But I would like another tank.

Also another thing to help costs! Ask if your LDS gives discounts to members of local scubaclubs

Now I suppose you could order all of the above stuff from the LDS and pay on it, and if you dive 2-3 times a month and pay $30-35 on it each time you could be paid off for it all in under a year

Bless!!!!
You celebrate your 1/2 year anniversaries....that so sweet! (hint to belushi!!!!) :sunny:

Back
Top Bottom