rent or bring equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people rent dive equipment in cozumel. Do you recommend doing this, or do you recommend bringing your own. I read someones comment that it was easier to rent than to worry about tavelling with thier gear. I think I trust my own gear much more.

No matter where I am diving I will always take my own gear.

The only two things I do not take they are my tanks and my lead. I have a lovely soft pouch weight belt and just throw the LDS's weight into it.

I think you would be crazy to use Hire gear when you have spent so many thousands on your own kit, you trust it and know it is going to be better than any hire crap they are going to give you to use.
I also insure all my dive gear for travel so if it does go walkabout I can get it replaced.
I carry it in a non-diving bag so it is not being advertised to steal and I lock the bags.

I carry onto the plane my Regs and computer and don’t let them out of my site, as they are to valuable and if anything does goes missing from the hold luggage I can still dive with my regs and my computer and old Hire BCD and MFS.

a hard plastic box that you can lock for like 29 bucks at Academy or most any good outlet store. Be sure it's under the 62" (length+width+height) and if you find one with some wheels on one end, even better! A Pelican 1650 will run you come bucks but it's the perfect solution. Take your gear, you'll be glad you did.

tony

I know and trust my own gear. I know how it's been maintained and when it was serviced last.

The rental regs and BC's I have seen in Coz haven't been in that great of shape. It may just be because so many people have rented it. Or it could be from neglect. I don't want to take a chance either way. Packing and carrying gear is not a hassle to me, certainly not worth risking my life for.

Sharkman,
Just one more voice in the chorus-but the same tune-"Bring your gear"!!
I always bring my own gear. Regulator set up (including computer,etc.), camera, etc. in a rolling carryon, and the rest-less tanks and weights- in "checked" bags. Sometimes, I wonder if taking my own gear is worth the extra hassle, but it is life support equipment, and I know how my gear was serviced/cared for. The comfort and familiarity of using my own stuff makes it worth the extra effort.
Good luck,
Mike

Thanx for the replies. You've all pretty much supported what I was thinking. I like the idea of bringing my regs/computers on the plane with me.

Sharkman,

Just in case you get second thoughts about hauling your gear though airports, explaining what a regulator is to a scornful security agent, or other weakening influences, try this.

Next time you dive with a dive shop, stick around after the dive and see how they clean regulators. Then imagine putting your mouth on those regs! Or see how carefully they clean wetsuits--need I say more?

Oh, yes, one more thing. As my camera gear began to take over my baggage, I had to shift my regulator setup to my check-in luggage. It's been a year and a half now, and, so far, (touch wood) no one has lost my gear. Now, I admit that I am less concerned than before because I now have a Stinger and the computer in my consol is the backup!

Scorpionfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom