Renewal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new regime takes a much harder look at the medical exam (you can thank the Staten I ferry and Cosco Busan wheelhouse guys for that, at least in part), so it's less likely you'll meet a mariner who's taking too many prescription meds, or the wrong ones, or hasn't disclosed the ones he's taking.

I agree Tom.

Commercial pilots just got cleared to fly on selected anti-depressants. So if you are on meds for a treatable and managed condition you get looked at really hard, but if you can get by with no meds and the condition unnoticed then you are safer to fly (or run your boat)? So should you or shouldn't you point out potential issues to your Doc in the physical? Of course you should, but get ready for the heat.

Just got mine, had to resubmit for the new medical and still had everything back in less than 60 days.

James, good point. The meds a capt/mate *isn't* taking (but should be) may be more of a hazard than the ones he is taking, whether disclosed to the doc or not. That's what the FAA just recognized for aircraft pilots.

NVIC 04-08 is the (very long) bible for this stuff. Encl 3 is the long list (use the index on p.3 for quick reference) of all the medical conditions requiring "further review" (meaning probably an outside consult or a specific note from your doc.). And Encl 4 (only 3 pages long) lists the medications that may either disqualify you (illegal drugs), or will require a waiver. Chief among the waivable prescription meds are antidepressants (just like the FAA will also now waive too), anticonvulsants, barbiturates, some sleeping pills, and benzodiazepines (like xanax, valium, etc). But there may be some restriction, like you can't take benzo drugs within X days of operating a vessel. It's all in the NVIC.

Here's the link to the NVIC:

Powered by Google Docs

Also on the CG web site is an circular called "Instruction Guide to the Physical Exam Report", which has a sample form already filled out by a sample doctor--very useful if your doc hasn't filled out the report before.

None of this is short reading, but if you know what med conditions you have, this NVIC will pretty much tell you in advance what will cause "further review" or not, and what is waivable or not. this beats trying to secretly "tough-out" something you should've got treated for, and is waivable if you do get treated.

If you're taking some meds, as many older renewers do, you should read this thing over about 6 months before your license expiration date. It will tell you what you should have looked at, and any outside doctor appointments or tests you might need, and you can give the pertinent pages to your doc to help arrange the referrals. And you'll need at least two appointments with your regular doc, one to take the physical, and the second to collate any of the outside tests/consults and include them, and to fill out the CG-719K form.

Yeah, it's a pain in the neck, but if you follow the NVIC, you'll only have to send it all in once, not twice or three times, and there shouldn't be any bounce-back surprises, which are a much bigger pain in the neck.

Holy Mackeral,

That is a long form. Thanks for posting the link. Renewal is a daunting process and we can all use whatever help we can get. Keep the thread going with any tips you have.

Here are a couple of the things from the CG website I was talking about. The first is their list of Top Ten Mistakes to avoid. The second (in two pieces below) is the Instruction Guide to the Merchant Mariner Phys Exam Report, which contains the "sample" filled-out pages about medical conditions, meds, and doctor's comments, to give to your doc before the physical (my doc found this useful guidance). Just remember to have Doc put in his/her address and state license number near the signature page, even though the form doesn't have a box for this. As others have warned, it'll bounce back without the address.

Hope this isn't TMI ("too much information"), but this stuff was useful to me, and doc, in my renewal a couple of months ago.

View attachment uscglica.pdf

View attachment USCG Instruction Guide 1.pdf

View attachment USCG Instruction Guide 2.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom