Rene 12-54 scuba cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dead Dog is correct. But the valves ,tank bands and harness have some value to them. You could sell them if you were looking for something.

These are not the Renee tanks. They are 1800 psi Walter Kiddie fire extinguisher tanks.
The first home made diving tanks with bushings in them for 1/2" tank valves.
These can not be refiled by LDS's, they won't touch them. You can't get parts for the valves any more either.
They are best used as displays of what diving was like in the begging in California.
Keep them the way they are now. I would like to have them for posterity.

None of my LDS would have any problems filling a properly inspected tank, just because it has a bushing. There is nothing technically wrong with the bushings and they are perfectly allowed under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR, the codes governing the DOT). They do have to be rated for the correct working pressure.

You guys must really live out in the “wild west”… where every LDS makes their own rules… :rolleyes:
lol

Thanks Bill. The pictures I showed were only the ones stamped with Walter Kidde, because I did not know what they were. Here are some pictures of the Rene tanks, note the US Divers also stamp on the tank, and the address. There are three of these tanks, two of the smaller Walter Kidde doubles, and one of the large Walter Kidde doubles. And thanks for those helping to identify the Walter Kidde tanks. Sometimes you never know what sort of things you might find in a garage.
IMG_5300.jpgIMG_5302.jpgIMG_5303.jpgIMG_5305.jpg
Along with the tanks was box with a regulator and some pressure guages in it.

Dead Dog is correct. But the valves ,tank bands and harness have some value to them. You could sell them if you were looking for something.
These valves can not be rebuilt unless you make your own parts.
The only use full parts are the bands and harness.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 09:37 AM ----------

Thanks Bill. The pictures I showed were only the ones stamped with Walter Kidde, because I did not know what they were. Here are some pictures of the Rene tanks, note the US Divers also stamp on the tank, and the address. There are three of these tanks, two of the smaller Walter Kidde doubles, and one of the large Walter Kidde doubles. And thanks for those helping to identify the Walter Kidde tanks. Sometimes you never know what sort of things you might find in a garage.
View attachment 124684View attachment 124685View attachment 124686View attachment 124687
Along with the tanks was box with a regulator and some pressure guages in it.

Do these Renee tanks have Champagne Bottle ( concave ) bottoms ?

1953 is when Renee trade marked " Aqua Lung " and gained control of the U.S. part of the ( franchise ) U.S. DIVERS.
This is the first year ( 1953 ) that U.S. DIVERS showed up stamped on an tank in the U.S.
Most of these tanks are now long gone. These tanks are an artifact of early diving in the U.S..
The first ones had a Champagne Bottle ( concave ) bottoms.

The Walter Kiddie tanks are not seen diving any more. Today's two-hose divers use more modern tanks.

Last edited:
The Walter Kiddie tanks are not seen diving any more. Today's two-hose divers use more modern tanks.

A better way to say this might be, "The Walter Kiddie tanks are not seen diving [as often] anymore. [Some of] Today's diver's use more modern tanks, [but some continue to use WKs.]"

I have a couple sitting in the garage, waiting for the water to warm here in WNY.

A better way to say this might be, "The Walter Kiddie tanks are not seen diving [as often] anymore. [Some of] Today's diver's use more modern tanks, [but some continue to use WKs.]"

I have a couple sitting in the garage, waiting for the water to warm here in WNY.

" The Walter Kiddie tanks are not seen diving any more. Today's two-hose divers use more modern tanks."

Meant to say t
he Walter Kiddie tanks are not seen diving any more in California.

Shouldn't be a problem to rebuild the valves. I rebuild those quite often.

Shouldn't be a problem to rebuild the valves. I rebuild those quite often.
Where do you get the internal parts from ?

Where do you get the internal parts from ?

The teflon seals are the same as used in modern valves. Usually that and a good cleaning and lub is all they need. I do have a limited suppy of hard parts if something is needed but usually they are not. I have valves that old that I use that still have all original parts other than the seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom