Removing Vinyl Coating from steel 72?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No.

The stuff is pretty persistent with a good quality stripper and a lot of elbow grease normally required to strip an exterior coating.

An interior plastic coating can be removed with some fairly lenghy tumbling.

Sorry, I misunderstood. If it is on the outside, I would see about getting it bead blasted. I am not sure if that is tough enough to remove it but I would think it is.

I have never heard of this being on the outside. Are you sure this is not a hoop wrapped tank? This is a scuba tank you are talking about, right?

ScubaDadMiami:
Sorry, I misunderstood. If it is on the outside, I would see about getting it bead blasted. I am not sure if that is tough enough to remove it but I would think it is.

I have never heard of this being on the outside. Are you sure this is not a hoop wrapped tank? This is a scuba tank you are talking about, right?

All my late 60's USD steel 72 tanks have a pretty durable outside coating. It is more than paint.

i had that orange stuff on one of my lp104's and i tried bead blasting it, what a joke that stuff just bounced off, and i was using a large professional cabniet that i use alot at the machine shop that i work at. I ended up getting some of that stuff called aircraft stripper (that's the actual name), at the parts store, and a couple coats and the vinal just kinda bubbled up and just fell off. But that stuff eats everything, and good ventilation is an understatement. Buy a crappy paint brush and carefull pour the stripper into a cut off 2 liter bottle or something and kinda just paint it on, wait about 15 min and do it again, about 3 coats and it will start to fall off depending on how thick you coat it, be warned again your 2 liter and paint brush will be melted trash at this point, but you will have a clean tank, choose your method of getting the stripper off and everything is ready to go.

good luck
kurt

It's better to go with a metal container rather than a plastic 2L bottle to avoid the plastic container getting eaten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom