Removing of vindicator rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have XScuba modular valves with the vindicator rings but wondering if I can take these off (they get in the way of my finger when carrying the tanks).
Is it just a matter of unscrewing the handwheel, popping it off, remove the rings and put the valve back handwheel back on? Or more involved than that?

Hi,

I have XScuba modular valves with the vindicator rings but wondering if I can take these off (they get in the way of my finger when carrying the tanks).
Is it just a matter of unscrewing the handwheel, popping it off, remove the rings and put the valve back handwheel back on? Or more involved than that?

you can just unscrew the handwheel nuts and take the knobs off and replace them with regular knobs

It should be easy to find out, but I think it may require a little more. Probably need some sort of spacer (nylon washers) to fill the gap if the nut doesn't get tight enough. It might work as is, though.

As stated, standard hand wheels are another option.

It should be easy to find out, but I think it may require a little more. Probably need some sort of spacer (nylon washers) to fill the gap if the nut doesn't get tight enough. It might work as is, though.

As stated, standard hand wheels are another option.
The vindicator hand wheels are a little wider than normal to accommodate the inserts so switching the hand wheels out completely is a better bet.

Vindicator knobs are a gimmick anyways- it’s better to be able to tell whether a valve is open or closed by feel alone.

And don't get me started on pressure gauges. Equipment that shows it status is just more Big SCUBA trying to get your money.

The vindicator hand wheels are a little wider than normal to accommodate the inserts so switching the hand wheels out completely is a better bet.
I'm aware.
Vindicator knobs are a gimmick anyways- it’s better to be able to tell whether a valve is open or closed by feel alone.
They have their uses. I like them for a couple of reasons. As you stated, they are wider. I find them easier to open in the event that I forget to turn it on before I don my BC. Larger wheel, easier to find and turn. I also like them as my kids dive with my tanks. It's a quick visual that it's open.

I never had the issue like the OP describes, which makes me wonder if they were installed properly. The green ring shouldn't be protruding where it can pinch a finger.

Meh. I quite like the ability to tell the open/closed status visually, and from a distance. The green/red display makes buddy checks faster and easier, too.

Back
Top Bottom