Remove and replacing weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
During my third pool class we were asked to float on our backs remove or weights and replace them. My instructor showed us that we were to place the weights in the middle of our chest while they were out. I have no problem with doing this. However i have problems putting them back in my BC. I always flip to one side and they are a "female dog" putting them back in. Anyone have any tips? My first beach dive is Sunday and I wouldn't wanna drop the weights out there. :D

Tresguey:
During my third pool class we were asked to float on our backs remove or weights and replace them. My instructor showed us that we were to place the weights in the middle of our chest while they were out. I have no problem with doing this. However i have problems putting them back in my BC. I always flip to one side and they are a "female dog" putting them back in. Anyone have any tips? My first beach dive is Sunday and I wouldn't wanna drop the weights out there. :D
get a belt or check if instr has one..you can have buddy assist with replacement..

When on your back,
1. Keep your head back
2. Extend out your legs, straight leg toes pointed about shoulder width apart.
Your fins will act as stabilizers keeping you from rolling over.

keep in mind you will only need to do this for class, in real world situations a buddy would help not to mention you would usually not remove weights from bcd inwater.

drglnc:
keep in mind you will only need to do this for class, in real world situations a buddy would help not to mention you would usually not remove weights from bcd inwater.
Depends...

Sometimes you will remove your weights and hand them up to the divemaster on the boat. Then you will take off your rig and hand it up. Then you will climb up the side of the boat. It all depneds on the type of boat and the procedures.

With that said, the last time I had to put my weights on (or in) in the water was in the class.

Double check with your instructor. I thought that if you were diving integrated, you only had to show that you can dump your weights.

You can practice this in your living room...Give it a try. Make sure you know exactly where your weight pockets are until you can find them blindfolded...Then practice reinserting the weights until you can do it easily. Then just add water:) Like some others said...Hopefully you will never find yourself in a position where you would need to ditch weights. Post back on how things went...Safe Diving

Our instructor told us we would, (while floating on the surface) have to be able to remove and replace the weights in the ocean. i prcticed a bit in my pool today. it still is a female dog but i think i'm getting better. i think the trick is to have the least amount of air in the BC as possible. any other advice would be great. :boings:

Tresguey:
Our instructor told us we would, (while floating on the surface) have to be able to remove and replace the weights in the ocean. i prcticed a bit in my pool today. it still is a female dog but i think i'm getting better. i think the trick is to have the least amount of air in the BC as possible. any other advice would be great. :boings:

I'm not quite certain how your instructor is describing "floating" at the surface. Is he/she talking about being neutrally or positively buoyant. If you are neutral you will be feet down and be floating at about mask level. In that case you will need to keep just enough air in your bc to keep you at mask level. If that's the case, is his intention for you to remove both pockets at the same time and replace them? Sounds like a pretty challenging thing to do for a new diver... as well as having alot of weights being dropped. If he/she wants you to be positively buoyant you would need to have more air in your bc then kick with your fins and put your head back and you will be floating on your back. Then you can remove them with alot more ease than being neutral. You would be doing the same thing as you would with a surface ditch and don. I need to qualify my reply by saying this...We do not teach weight integrated r and r in my DM class...so hopefully there is an instructor that teaches integrated r and r who can help you with this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom