Remote valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Place the failure pt aside for the moment. You are openly admitting that you are able to close the valve as it stands before use of this device so you are adding 'unnecessary equipment' and further congesting the chest area (you don't leave stage and deco regs parked off on the shoulder d rings do you?). Its a systems approach and you start to clutter the system and it breaks down as in attaching *unneeded* things to your chest area. I strongly consider this to be the most important reason not to do it. When the 's#&*' hits the fan, you need focused options (the fewer the choices, the better the reaction time). Cluttering the chest area delays the deployment of *all* safety equip in that area.... back up lights, your device, regs if you park them there (as I have stated this should not be done and is a fundamental cause of ox tox or breathing an inappropriate mix no matter how good you are). Take the time and keep the house clean and you will be better off.

Originally posted by Alban

As far as i can see the main problem everyone see's is " an added failure point "

As for it being an engtanglement it runs from the isolator over my shoulder and is clipped to my harness it is not balloning out anywhere . so much attention is placed on us to place vital equipment on our chest area where it can easily be reached with either hand eg. gauges , knife, sissors, inflators you must agree that reaching the isolator valve is time critical and anything that improve this must be a benifit ?

As I have said before i am not sugesting that this is used instead of performing a shut down I use it as an aid i still need to be able to reach the tank valves to close them

I've never used a slobwinder (and I never will) but what I've _heard_ is that the wire inside can rust and break if used in saltwater. So when you reach for it in an emergency...

Like some of the others have said... If it's not needed don't use it!

What can be simpler than reaching behind you and shutting down the valve??? Do you really think it'll be faster to grab a knob on your shoulder than to reach back over your shoulder?? A millisecond maybe. Not enough to make it worth the trouble.

Do not try to fix problems that don't exist! If you can reach your valves practice shutting them down. If you can not reach them adjust your rig, work out, stretch or whatever until you can. Don't add assinine solutions to non-problems!

Sorry, but everyone else has been so nice I had to be the "evil one"!
:mean:

Thanks for all the replys

I guess it's each to there own I have taken on what every one has stated and I appreciate the replys some more valid than others, but kit and configuration will allways be a debatable issue
and for me I will stick with what I have it works and I can't forsee a situation where I will regret it .

As a matter of interest I will try and find some statistics to see if there have been any accidents related to remotes if anyone could point me in the right direction for that I would appreciate it.

Many thanks again Alban

Originally posted by Alban
Thanks for all the replys

As a matter of interest I will try and find some statistics to see if there have been any accidents related to remotes if anyone could point me in the right direction for that I would appreciate it.

Many thanks again Alban

Why do you have to find "accidents" to decide if it's a good idea? You admitted you CAN reach the valves without one....

Why don't you just strap a dead cat to your chest... be just as usefull as a "remote" but it sounds like you are going to do what you want to do regardless of common sense.:confused:

I tried the dead cat thing. It don't work. It played hell with my trim as the cat was way too bouyant. It kept flipping me over onto my back. However, the tail did serve as a great spot to hook my line markers.

Originally posted by Big James
I tried the dead cat thing. It don't work. It played hell with my trim as the cat was way too bouyant. It kept flipping me over onto my back. However, the tail did serve as a great spot to hook my line markers.

Your problem was your dead cat was too old... you have to use a fresh one! haha...

We have the same intro instructor James. Mark P. Good guy!

Originally posted by WYDT

Your problem was your dead cat was too old... you have to use a fresh one! haha...

We have the same intro instructor James. Mark P. Good guy!

The gator at peacock ate my only fresh cat! LOL....

You are right about Mark. He is a good guy. A bunch of us went to dinner the other night. I brought your name up, and he talked about how great of a guy you were. It is possible I might be seeing you on a dive trip in the near future. Small world.

Originally posted by Big James

The gator at peacock ate my only fresh cat! LOL....

You are right about Mark. He is a good guy. A bunch of us went to dinner the other night. I brought your name up, and he talked about how great of a guy you were. It is possible I might be seeing you on a dive trip in the near future. Small world.

Yep, if you go down to cave country with Mark I'm sure we'll meet sooner or later. The wife wants to take Cavern and Intro with him. She's not quite ready yet but it'll be sometime this spring/summer. We were invited to Papa Deaux too but were in FL. Go figure. :wink:

Well, you were better off in Florida! We got to Papadeaux at 5:00. We were not seated until close to 9:00! We did not get out of there until after 10:30. I was not very happy. Of course Mark was happy go lucky. Nothing bothers him. He has another student lined up for cavern intro some time in May. I will probably go down then with him and tag along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom