remote exhaust, or a plain elbow ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Rite TransPac XT has one and I like it. I rinse and inspect it after every dive as I do the wing to which it attaches.

I would never buy a wing that has a pull dump and I think it's one of the stupider ideas the dive gear industry has come up with.

Agreed.

In terms of a failure point, how about this? My friend, an instructor, went diving with a family who were experienced divers, but most (all?) of their experience was in Hawaii. This dive was their first in heavy wetsuits and hoods in (relatively) cold water. The husband asked my friend to buddy with his wife while he dove as a buddy with his son. My friend agreed. When they hit the water, the woman just went catatonic and started sinking fast. Apparently something about being confined in the suit and hood freaked her out and that was how she panicked. My friend dove after her and the first thing he was able to grab was her inflator hose. He hit the inflator button, but the pull dump vented the air and prevented it from going into the BC. Fortunately, he was able to get to her rig, inflate her BC and get the situation under control. Everything ended without injury, but he was initially surprised when hitting the inflator button failed to arrest her descent!

OW, and I do like a pull dump. However, most of the corrugated hoses are way too long for me, so I opt for a 12" hose (or is it a 10"???). I take the time to make a new leader out of 1.8mm mono. Don't make it too short, or you'll be dumping all the time. As I was making one, it occurred to me that this was a great idea for attaching bolt snaps to items. Oh yeah.

In a cave? I don't have any pull dumps on my cave gear. No, I don't think it's that big of thing, but they just aren't to be found on cave wings. :D

My friend dove after her and the first thing he was able to grab was her inflator hose.
Too funny. I was training dive buddies for disabled divers and one of the things you do is to bind your legs together and then give yourself a perma-hug through the dive as you imitate a quadriplegic diver. The trainee and I were floating nicely on the surface and she let out my air first... and she let out way too much. Thwoop, I head to the bottom and she's holding onto my pull dump. Yeah, she finally let go. A minute of two later she finally got me off the bottom... sort of. The dive went downhill from there, but reading your account reminded me of fun times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom