Remora Strobe: Where to "park" the diffuser?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, folks -

Have just acquired a Fantasea Remora strobe unit. I haven't had it in the water yet, but everything seems to function well in my living room. However, I am puzzled by one thing ...

It comes with the diffuser snapped into place over the face of the strobe, with a "leash" from it to the strobe body to keep it from being lost when not in use. But when it's not in use, I can find no good way to secure it so it doesn't simply float around on the end of its leash.

I wrote to Fantasea about this, and they came back with a "solution" that appears to have been made up after my inquiry, a solution which I don't think works very well. Anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks!

Follow-up: Just got an e-mail from Fantasea. They say the diffuser is positively buoyant and will float clear of the strobe, and also suggested velcro on the diffuser and the strobe body as an alternative. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Don't need to remove it. I can't think of a time when you wouldn't want to spread and soften the light underwater. You don't loose much power, and that strobe has a narrow beam to begin with.

Jack

Jaak -

Thanks for confirming a thought I had in the back of my head anyway! I was thinking it would create a real hotspot "naked", given the power it seems to have. In my test shots in my living room, I blew out a lot of shots even at half power.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom