Remembering Jackson V. Lone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamoo

Reaction score
It's been almost 3 months now since 39 year old Officer Jackson Lone of the Seattle Police Harbor Unit was killed in a strange, tragic accident while on duty. It seems strange to type this now -- it did happen a few months ago, and probably many of you heard about it already. But this forum seems to be the right place to memorialize him and though I thought of doing it earlier, I don't think I could've.

Jackson loved to dive and loved the water. He'd been a lifeguard as a young man, became an officer at a young age (I believe 21!), and ended up in the Harbor Unit as a diver. He was a real "people person" and really valued his friends, family, and co-workers. He worked hard, and had a real drive for exellence (and a bit of intolerance for laziness and injustice). Jackson lived in the San Juan Islands and moored his boat near the Harbor Station where he, his wife, and 18 month old son would stay during his work week. We had several conversations about him getting a boat to commute to work from the islands...

Jackson died on March 16, 2005. He and his partner were securing a large derelict tugboat that'd drifted into the ship canal. Jackson was on shore at the bow, his partner at the stern in the police boat. A few minutes went by and his partner saw his "float coat" and pike pole floating on the water -- but no Jackson. The partner radioed for help, donned his dive gear and splashed. Jackson was found very quickly under the tugboat on the bottom (6' to 8' deep) though he could not be revived. CPR had been administered quickly and medics/doctors did everything they could for him. The attempts they made to save him at Harborview MC were truly heroic, but to no avail.

He will be missed by many.

Jackson Lone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom