Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina:
I have a mk2-380 and dive on shipwrecks at 120' with it and it works great. It does breath different than a balanced reg but not much. I myself would buy the mk2-190 and gauges or an inexpensive computer and the money saved I would spend on better BC and thermal protection because this is what will make your dive comfortable.

Have you ever put 2 divers on one Mk2 each with normally tuned R190 type 2nds during a motivating incident on a deep dive. I have not, but that is where I'm thinking that the difference in performance between that rig and a high performance rig (high flow rate 1st with 2nds set to deliver at under 1" of vaccuum) would show up the most.

It's a good argument but the numbers don't really support it. The Mk 2 is a low perfromance reg relative to the Mk 17 and Mk 25, but relative is the key term. It is still a very capable first stage in it's own right.

A Mk 2 first stage will flow 92 SCFM, while the R190 and R295 first stages have maximum full blown freeflow rates of 50 SCFM each.

So unless your "motivating" incident at depth involves two divers sucking air at close to 50 SCFM each, it is not going to be a problem.

Mathmatically, the Mk 2 would allow each diver 46 SCFM. Assuming both had normal SAC rates of 1.0 SCFM (which is very much on the high side of average), they could each suck 9.2 times their normal air consumption at 5 atm (132ft) and still not outbreath the regulator.

In essence, you have to have a totally unrealistic situation in order to exceed the limits of a MK 2 at 130 ft even with two divers using it.

There are good arguments for some divrs to go with a more expensive first stage like a Mk 17 or Mk 25 but they are not safety related arguments and are overall qualitative rather than quantitative arguments.

AWAP,
Thats a good point that I can't argue with becaue I have never had to loan air to someone, and I have never witnessed any other diver having to share air. With proper air management you should never have to share air. I am sure under those situations if both divers were sucking air at the same time you would notice the difference. Breath responsible and keep an eye on that guage. What is truly remarkable to the mk2-190 is the simplicity and reliability of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom