Regulators for Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove the Mk25/G250V under the ice (35-39F) with no issues whatsoever. I turn the dial down on the G250V, but one thing to remember is that you can get any regulator to free flow...it can be a wrong angle, it can be breathing too hard (over exertion)...but I was one of the skeptics about using my MK25/G250s under the ice, but my other friends were also using them without any issues either. My other friend had Apeks, and again...no issues in general. We also have the MK17/G250's on the stage bottles, and some have the DS4's and no issues...One buddy has the MK25/s600's on his back gas and has been upside down with no issues... We have quite the range of temperatures up here...so if it works up here...it'll work for you.

Posidons....one thing to consider...the hoses. I have seen people in the past have a hard time locating hoses for their regs, and then when they found them they were so expensive. This might seem minor, but if you are wanting to get into technical diving...standard hoses are easier to find.

Other things to consider...routing. First go with DIN regs. Secondly...routing. the MK25s route nice on the back gas doubles. The DS4 and the MK17 route nice on stages, but you can also use them on the back gas, but the lp hoses for the regs might kink a little more than you wish.

+1 for scuba pro.

I was also under ice at 37F to 39F temps about two weeks ago. MK25 / S600 combination held up well. Four dives and nothing near a freeze up. The inflator on my Blue H wing froze open twice. The second time I was only about 1 ft from the surface so instead of decoupling the inflator, I let the wing free flow and vent for about a minute. That in itself was still not enough to get the MK25 to freeze up.

Both the Apeks and Scubapro options you mentioned are great and will work fine for tech diving (DIN thou). I own a pair of Tek3 and DS4 and love them, however they are twice as costly to service as my SP regs (SP $30, apeks $65). I have also dived my MK25/S600 in Cape Town without issues. My instructor have the MK17's and they also work magic.

I love my Apex XTX 100!

I really like my Apeks tek3 reg set. I also own scubapro mk25 s600 that I use for sport diving. Both sets breath great and rout well with the doubles. I prefer the routing with the tek3 set. I also like the tek3 set being environmentally sealed. Makes rinsing them after a dive super easy.

Cheers, Walt

While reading through this thread I have not seen any mention of HOG regulators. I have been diving with Scubapro and APEX for years now and truly believe in them. Yet I recently purchased a set of HOG D1 regs and have been using them for about the past month or so. I have very happy with them and they breath great. From what I can tell they are very very close to the APEX regs. Can anyone jump in and add some insight into the HOGs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom