Regulators and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
I have a question. Many regulators say Nitrox ready? Why wouldn't all regulators be nitrox ready? Is there something special that is needed because you have more oxygen?

Hello,

To make a long and heated battle short the answer is yes your reg must be clean for enriched air service. It makes more sence for a company (regulator company) to ship 'nitrox ready' regulators due to libaility issues vs not. Many companies are taking this approach, where possible.

Ed

Blacknet,

Could you give me some more detail on this? What does clean mean in reference to a regulator, and how would this affect a Nitrox setup.

As I have not used or read much on Nitrox and am looking for info before I decide to get such a cert maybe my questions seem silly, of so I apologize.

But I imagine many people would wonder the same thing eventually when thinking of getting Nitrox certified. I would like to know if my Regulator could even be used if I get Nitrox Certified, if not, it is pointless cause I don't want to spend 400-500 to replace relatively new gear just to get a few benefits from the Nitrox.

To be 'nitrox ready' really refers to ensuring that the regulator etc is capable of handling a higher than normal O2 content. Similar to having tanks O2 cleaned, the process is to try and eliminate contaminations within the system (e.g. oil, grease) that MIGHT react with the higher O2 concentration in the nitrox mix and combust (not a good thing to happen to your regulator!!).

Another feature of a high O2 mix is that it is more corrosive and this is reflected in changing things like your O rings in the reg to a more robust version (normally colored green) and using O2 'friendly' grease on the seals.

As to regulators being shipped as Nitrox ready - this is a contentious area. Apeks (as an example) ship their range (certainly the TX 100 / 50 / 40) as Nitrox compatible TO 40% and if you require to use mixes higher than this, they recommend it is serviced and cleaned accordingly. This is more to do with litigation than anything else (in my opinion).

Hope this helps.

The vast majority of the diving community believes that the use of nitox at precentages of 40% or less is ok with any modern day regulator. I myself am one of these people. However there are others that say that any mix above 23% (I believe it is 23%, if not somewhere in that neighborhood) requires the you to use a regulator that has been nitrox cleaned. We had this discussion a while back, and a little digging will find the threads, so I'm not going into the debate again here.

Alot of manufactors today are getting away from stating that their regulators are nitrox compatible. Some say this is due to liablity issues, others say it's because they also sell a nitrox ready regulator, and etc. Who knows their reasons. I personally use my regs, Apeks TX50, with nitrox all the time. I also use them with air and they've never been "nitrox cleaned".

BTW, Heads Up, Apeks doesn't market their standard line of regulators as "nitrox compatible". To the contrary, they say you should have them made nitrox compatible prior to use with nitrox. They do however sell a nitrox ready regulator, :). They made this change shortly after Aqualung bought the company out a year or so ago. Prior to that, they were all nitrox compatible. See what I mean. :)

Originally posted by Warhammer
BTW, Heads Up, Apeks doesn't market their standard line of regulators as "nitrox compatible". To the contrary, they say you should have them made nitrox compatible prior to use with nitrox. They do however sell a nitrox ready regulator, :). They made this change shortly after Aqualung bought the company out a year or so ago. Prior to that, they were all nitrox compatible. See what I mean. :)

As usual Warhammer, you are absolutely right - I remember now that the literature talked about their nitrox range as being seperate but their technical department confirmed (on the phone) it was perfectly ok on the ordinary TX range up to 40%.

Originally posted by Heads Up

but their technical department confirmed (on the phone) it was perfectly ok on the ordinary TX range up to 40%.

Yeah, see what I mean? It's all about opinions, and the vast majority of us feel the exact same way.

Hello,

Not starting the old flame here but how would everyone feel if the regulations DID change to the 23% rule? I.e. if the scuba industry was forced to change from 40% to 23%?

Just wondering and no flame because of this please

Ed

My Apeks TX100 worked fine on EAN40 last month - I keep it clean and well serviced and only use it with either Nitrox or double filtered air so I would continue to use it up to 40%. When servicing it, I always replace o rings etc with O2 compatible components.

I assummed that you meant to post this under this thread, so I moved it here for you. If this was not your intentions, then please accept my applogy.

Warhammer

As Warhammer and I have been saying, manufacturors seem to be erring on the side of caution these days (to try and mitigate any chance of litigation). My TX100 worked fine on EAN40% last month and the month before that. I service it regularly and always use O2 compatible O rings and grease. I only fill my cylinders with nitrox or double filtered air so I know there is little chance of contamination there. Basically, I would be happy to continue using up to EAN40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom