Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrashaNova, I'd buy that set but not for $75. Maybe for $35 or $40. I service my own regs, though, so I don't worry about whether or not a local shop can service them. Finding parts can occasionally be difficult though so you might be better off with a brand that is still in business, at least.

Don't give up looking for used gear, though. It's a great way to reduce your overall cost and be able to spend more on diving.

Used gear is great as long as you're willing to pay to have it overhauled if necessary. A diver's care of their equipment plays a big part in how long that equipment will last. Consequently, whenever dealing with used gear I always ask about a diver's personal dive experience as well as why they are getting rid of what they are selling. If the answer is, "it's been sitting in the attic for three years after I dove it a couple times", I'll pass. If the answer is more along the lines of, "I dive a few times a year and just decided to upgrade my equipment", then the odds are better.

Having said that, I have bought all my life supporting scuba gear brand new. I have an Apeks regulator set now that I love, and I would recommend the line to anyone, as there are Apeks regulators for all levels and types of diving, in addition to varied pricepoints. Before you go buy gear though, ask yourself what your goals are as a diver. Tropical, warm water diving? Colder, deep dives? Technical diving? Instruction? You are better off buying a piece of equipment that will satisfy your needs for a while as opposed to something that you will need to upgrade within a year or two. Also, familiarize yourself with different types of equipment styles, configurations, and uses. DIN valve or Yoke? Octo or AirSource? Cold or warm water? All those questions should be asked before you choose a piece of gear to purchase. Then research, make a choice on a few products you want to choose from, and look for a deal on each one. Don't rush into your purchase. Your life will depend on this piece of gear. Your piece of equipment will either enhance or impair your experience as a diver. BCDs are the same way. Technical diving or solely recreational? Are you ever going to dive a drysuit? Do you prefer a jacket-style or back inflate? There are many pros and cons to each, as well as personal preference to be taken into consideration. Talk with a local dive shop, see if they will let you try out some different rental gear. And buy local if you can... the internet is a great tool, but buying online doesn't help support local businesses. Keeping it local will help ensure those local dive shops are around when you need an "emergency" fix, fill, advice, or piece of equipment.

I got the HOG D1s and they are good so far. I would also recommend Aqualung. They seemed to have fallen out of favour, which makes them cheaper to get, but they make great regs. I remember reading an independent review and they beat some of the gold standards of regs in ease of breathing and other tests.

Crash, As you can see from the other posts, everyone has their favorites. What's your budget for the regs?

One thing to remember is this will likely be the first of a number of regulators you will own if you stay with scuba. And it is not a bad idea to start out with something affordable that can be relegated to your save a dive kit in the future. When looking for used, do consider shops in your area. They will replenish their training regs to stay with current models. The old ones can often be had at a good price, serviced and even with a store guarantee.

You can't beat the sub-$400 price for a full open water setup of HOG gear, brand new, high performance regs, hoses, SPG, etc.
There's a few of the big online retailers selling them for that price these days.

Myself and most of my OW and cave/tech buddies all use HOG's
Can't beat the price for the performance and quality they offer.

It can't be stressed enough that you should have any used gear you buy looked at and serviced by a local dive shop. You can get some great deals, but you don't want to trust your life to something that hasn't been serviced in 20 years. If you find something you like, ideally you can arrange to meet the buyer at a shop where the gear can be looked over. Good luck, you'll find you soon have a garage full of gear, and an empty wallet.

Good luck, you'll find you soon have a garage full of gear, and an empty wallet.

You just described almost every diver here on SB.

As someone said before, look at who you will be diving with. I got very lucky in the fact that I did lots of research before purchasing my stuff and strangely ended up with the exact kit my instructor has for his diving. It's a mix and match set but loving my apeks regs! I do recommend buying regs new as a warranty and service support is needed esp when you're new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom