Regulator vs octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abstract

Registered
Reaction score
I can get an atomic regulator and a first stage for the price of an atomic octo. Would there be any issues with freeflowing if I use a standard regualtor vs the atomic octo?

I can get an atomic regulator and a first stage for the price of an atomic octo. Would there be any issues with freeflowing if I use a standard regualtor vs the atomic octo?
Freeflowing where / when?

There are first stages and there are second stages. There are second stages (primary) that you use all of the time and second stages (octo) that you keep as an emergency backup and hope to never use. First stages & second stages. End of (technical) story.

The marketing peoples have tried hard to differentiate between a primary and octo second stage. To the point that the manufacturers even made them "slightly" different. Nasty sales tool. Ignore it.

Both of my second stages are exactly the same. Tuned exactly the same. And my octo freeflows every time I screw up.

A very common issue is for an octo to free flow upon initial immersion: because it was facing up! Enough people panic about this. When this happens to me, I calmly turn it over and do my dive.

Many people (dive shop techs) will "de-tune" the octo a bit to reduce the chance it will free flow. This detuning makes it very slightly harder to "crack" and get air from.

My key message is to understand that a surface freeflow is normal - if your second stage is oriented upside down. Your second stage is designed to work that way! Turn it over and it will stop.

+1 all my second stages are the same model for both primary and secondary.

I have two Atomic B1s on a single first stage. I have two Atomic Z1s on a single first stage. I have two Sherwood SR1s on a single first stage. I have four Scuba Pro S600s on two first stages.

+1 all my second stages are the same model for both primary and secondary.

I have two Atomic B1s on a single first stage. I have two Atomic Z1s on a single first stage. I have two Sherwood SR1s on a single first stage. I have four Scuba Pro S600s on two first stages.
Good thing to know that you do not have too many regs...

No. Just make sure the viva is off (switch to pre-dive or -) and turn down the user adjustment.

I just bought the Atomic Z2. Yeah, the 1st+2nd is only $120 more than the 2nd stage alone (410 for both, 290 for just the second). But based on comments like the above I went for a second Z2 2nd stage. Buy throwing in the extra 2nd stage, my LDS was able to give be a bit of a deal to where the extra second was only about 60 more than a scubapro R195 which I was looking at as my "bargain" octo. As everyone suggests, just go for another atomic. The difference in price will be insignificant after a few hundred dives.

Last edited:
You certainly made a good decision. It would've been okay to use a different octo with that first stage (and could get tuned to perfect), I like having matching octos for several reasons. I think the biggest reason for having matching regs, though, is not cheaping out on the octo. Octos get used in sub-calm conditions. A bad breathing reg isn't good then. The Scubapro R195 would've been fine...it's not a cheap/crappy reg. The benefit of having matching brands for service, though, is very nice in my book.

Congrats on the new regs!

I'm a "donate the primary" guy.

The question I asked myself:

"When it turns to mush do I want the 2nd I'll be breathing to be worse than the one I'm donating?"

One reason to buy the same octo is so one dealer can service both. However since your dealer probably services multiple brands there are options.

Most Octo's from all the major brands are interchangeable.

My Atomic dealer is also an Aqualung dealer. So one I particularly like is the Aqualung ABS Octo. $150 list. ABS Octopus
Unique 120° angle between hose and mouthpiece: This Aqua Lung innovation is ideal for giving your octopus to a buddy - will work in either right hand or left hand positions. No more sharp bends in the hose or upside down octopuses in the mouth

I actually don't have a problem with the Mares MV either. My buddy has one and it has a side exhaust so is optimal for keeping bubbles out of the other divers face. https://www.mares.com/products/regulators/octopus/octopus-mv/335/?region=eu He's had it at least 6-7 years now and it still works.

If you consider a conventional 2nd stage as your octo on a 39" hose, one issue is that when you donate it, the other diver will have to kink the hose to face you with it upside down in his mouth. It just seems like one further complication in what could be an emergency situation.

The only reg I wouldn't use as an octo is a Poseidon since they work under different IP pressure. Although my buddy did once but it was twitchy so free-flowed every single time he hit the water from a boat until he turned it over. And it was de-tuned.

I look at an octo as something that's going to get beat up pretty good no matter what you get. And I've never used mine except to try ensure that it still works. So I don't see the value in buying the same as my primary - I don't dive a long hose so will never donate it. If you did, I could see where you might want a better octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom