Regulator To Suit My Future Endeavors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CelticLemon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I'm new to scuba having only just recently been open water certified and I'm really excited to get back out there and dive. Figured I'd take the plunge pretty soon and start purchasing gear to remove the cost of renting when I go out. I've been perusing the forum and many of the manufacturers of regulators and other scuba equipment and wanted to see what regulator everyone would suggest I purchase.

I'm all for purchasing a regulator with my future dive interests in mind. I'd really like to do cold water/ice diving one day so I figured I'd purchase a reg that is rated for ice diving temperatures. I'm also looking for a reg that has a side exhaust or other deflected exhaust which won't put the bubbles all up in my face.

In my searches, I've found quite a few that state ice rated or side exhaust/deflected exhaust but not both. I'm sure that many of them do and the manufacturers just haven't noted it in their descriptions.

Any suggestions of what regs I should look into?

Thanks! :D

poseidon jetstreams, hollis 500se, and oceanic omega 3 are all side exhaust regs and environmentally sealed i believe. poseidon in particular specializes in side exhaust regs. I would take another look at the hog d1 and maybe try a classic 2nd with a wide exhaust tee. the d1 is probably the best value out there for a cold water reg just starting out and can be had for about half what a side exhaust setup would be.

poseidon jetstreams, hollis 500se, and oceanic omega 3 are all side exhaust regs and environmentally sealed i believe. poseidon in particular specializes in side exhaust regs. I would take another look at the hog d1 and maybe try a classic 2nd with a wide exhaust tee. the d1 is probably the best value out there for a cold water reg just starting out and can be had for about half what a side exhaust setup would be.

Any feelings on the Mares Abyss 22 or Oceanic Alpha 9 CDX5? They keep popping up in my searches and it seems that Mares and Oceanic offer some equipment packages with them included (which would be a bit easier on my wallet). Those are the ones that really didn't say whether they were rated for ice.

Last edited:
no experience with mares, the oceanic is perfectly fine, but you can get the hog d1 with 2 classic 2nds for cheaper. honestly, unless you really loved using a jacket bcd during certification, backplate+wing is the way to go. those "starter packages" are kinda mediocre because you will probably end up replacing a lot of the gear.

Hog D1 DIN 1st Stg w-Classic 2nd Stg Regulator Set

Hog Zenith Chrome Second Stage

you will want to grab a din to yoke converter if you plan on diving in the Caribbean.

If you are diving in trim, the bubbles do not go into your face

You can mount a camera on your head and never see a bubble..

I use HOG regulators, and have never had any issues, and have had them in 34f water

The Atomic regulators will be the last regulator you will buy especially if you buy the sealed first stage. They don't require frequent service as the others and you can go on for years without servicing them. They are top performers and you can't go wrong with any model they have. I'd get the sealed first stage version of the model you like. No issues with bubble interference at all. I am an underwater photographer and I'd notice if the bubbles were an issue.

Atomic Aquatics: The Best Regulators Ever Designed

The Atomic regulators will be the last regulator you will buy especially if you buy the sealed first stage. ]

While I agree with you that the Atomic is one of the best regulators ever, my issue with Atomics (and Apeks)is that in Central Florida, service sucks. I thought I had finally found a good LDS only to have them go out of business. I later found out, (the hard way) that they had installed a different manufacturer's piston in my reg. HOG is the only regulator for me now

While I agree with you that the Atomic is one of the best regulators ever, my issue with Atomics (and Apeks)is that in Central Florida, service sucks. I thought I had finally found a good LDS only to have them go out of business. I later found out, (the hard way) that they had installed a different manufacturer's piston in my reg. HOG is the only regulator for me now

Considering that you only have to worry about servicing the Atomic regulator once every few years, I'd either send it to Atomic directly for service or send it to one of their national service centers and not worry about it. I have my Atomic regulators serviced every 3 - 4 years (the sealed versions).

Last edited:
A Mares Abyss 22 (especially if you can find a Mares Abyss 22 Navy - cold water version) is a great performer at recreational dive depths. Mares has developed this regulator for over 35 years, and it was about 13 years old when they got involved (see Voit/Swimaster/AMF MR12 for a comprehensive history). This has been one of my favorite single hose regulators over the years, as they are bulletproof reliable and easy to work on / have serviced. Find a LDS who carries the brand and see if you can dive one before you purchase, you'll be impressed with the regulator, and hopefully there will be a good package deal available from Mares/LDS.

Everything everyone has been suggesting would be a potential good choice. It really boils down to a few things not mentioned. Namely, what do you feel comfortable with and what can you get serviced.

If you can, try out the regulator before you purchase it. If the shop sells it, there is a chance they rent it as well. I rented my regulators with the understanding that if I liked it and bought it from the shop they would knock the cost of the rental off the price.

Servicing the regulator is probably one of the most important things people overlook. If you cannot get the regulator serviced then it is worthless after a year or two. Most people have their regulators for decades. You will spend more money on servicing than the initial price of the regulator (if you take diving seriously). I've been diving for 13 years and I still have my first set of regulators. I've met people with regulators that are 30 years old and still work fine.

One word of warning, I have seen regulators advertising free parts for life. Read the terms carefully. If the terms say you must get them serviced at an authorized service center and you must get them serviced every year it could get costly. Additionally, is the lifetime parts transferrable if you sell the regulators? For example, my regulators might be: $60 every 2 years to get serviced plus parts might amount to $20 or average to $40/year. The other regulators might be $80 every 1 year plus free parts or average to $80/year. So free parts but it costs you twice as much. Additionally, if you fail to service the regulator one year you void the warrantee. No more free parts. At that point you might find it is $80 for a service and parts are $50.

Back
Top Bottom