Regulator testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are simply wanting your own reg checked out rather than a manufacturer wanting gas flow numbers.....not much.

I would like to think that a shop that knows you by your 1st name would not charge you anything just to hook a reg up to a tank, connect an intermediate pressure gauge and 30 seconds rental of experienced ears and eyes.

checked, or serviced?

If your reg has been stored for awhile, you should have it serviced. Time and temperature causes the neoprene to get brittle and lose the elasticity.

Generally, this is don'e every 12 months (some mfrs use different seals/seats, and they can go 24 months). Main issue is not to store in a hot area (e.g. garage).

Flow testing a reg on a bench (as opposed to just checking IP, needle swing, lock up, etc) should cost about $10 in most shops.

I guess tested was the wrong word to use yes I meant serviced.

Servicing will vary depending on the shop and brand of regulator, but assuming you're also paying for parts and you have a first stage and 2 second stages, I'd guess around $100-120.

Why do you think your gear needs to be serviced? Service is not inexpensive; and when it is unnecessary, it may cause more problems than it postpones. Some divers end up with a bill of $200 or more for "service".

This regulator was given to me by a family member. It has been sitting for years. It appears to be in good condition. I just figured I would get it serviced to be sure. Is that not the route I should take?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom