Regulator Style Preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riles2226

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I'm looking at moving to a dedicated set of regulators for sidemount (I keep hacking up my normal recreational regs every time I go sidemount.) and am curious as to thoughts on piston vs diaphragm. I definitely know the functional difference inside of the 1st stage, but I'm curious as to the preference specifically when diving SM.

For me, I'm currently diving ScubaPro MK25s and find that the piston hanging down and all the hoses coming out of it gets in the way of the choker. I have tried flipping the piston to have it go up but that left the piston really exposed and in the way.

I'm thinking that a diaphragm system might keep the 1st stage and hoses up a bit higher, make them less of a snag hazard, etc.

Thoughts? Piston or Diaphragm and why?

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on this, I got the Zeagle F8 today and it is a diaphragm. My buddies all wanted me to go ScubaPro but I am rebel :)

@Riles2226 turn the piston sideways. In sidemount, with a turret you want it cocked at least 45* over, if not a full 90* over to facilitate ideal hose routing. The MK25 profile is just fine for sidemount. I have no problems using them with mine.

Now, I got mine for a stupid good deal, so that helped, but most divers I know use diaphragms for a myriad of reasons and if I had my choice, I would rather have something like the Deep6 Signature regs, but alas, for the deal I got, it can't be beat. For you, since you already have the mk25's, sticking with them may be the ideal scenario.

Turn them as tbone1004 said. I have HOG D1s. The fifth ports are pointed in across my chest, essentially at one another.

Nothing beats APEX, the XTX model second stage can be as much left as right handed, there is a 1st stage that have a swivel turret it is easier on the hose, I have DS4 and I don't have routing issues, but the Turret one is more hose straing free.

Turrets should be 90 degrees to the valve. Ideally with a 5th port. Each tank gets an inflator, one for wing, one for drysuit, out of the 5th ports.

Turrets are best for hose routing because you're not bending the hoses as they swivel to self-align.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom