Regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrWilliam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This seems to me maybe a silly question, but I really don't know the answer.

should I have my regulator (Atomic Z2x) serviced when due even if I know I won't be diving it for awhile, or wait until just before I plan to dive with it? Is there any reason to keep it serviced even if it's just stored in closet?

As said, above I would wait. In the mean time spend a few $$ on an intermediate pressure gauge:

Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BC Quick Disconnect Fitting ITP-07

You can use it to check not only the intermediate pressure but to make sure the pressure is holding. I typically do not service my regs (also Atomic) until I get pressure creep.

Edit to add a bit more based on what LeadTurn_SD posted below. In addition to having your reg inspected find a good shop tech that will teach you a few things about inspecting your reg yourself. Pay for the inspection but buy them a few beers for teaching you. That is what I did and as result I can walk into any of three shops with a great relationship.

Last edited:
One more vote for waiting.

If you have a good shop with a good tech, I would advise simply having it inspected prior to the next time you dive it (the inspection should include a good once over visual inspection and testing the IP and test breathing the 2nd stages)... but even better is to do as Scared Silly recommended and buy your own IP gauge, and in addition to testing the IP perform the inspections and testing yourself, as outlined in the excellent sticky thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

It is always a good idea to perform the inspections and tests outlined in the thread above prior to every dive day, and is doubly important immediately after your regulator has been serviced. Akimbo's advice about NOT taking a freshly serviced regulator on an expensive dive trip without testing it first is great advice.

Best wishes.

Not needed til you dive again. In your case for two reasons.

One is the seat saver orifice on your reg is keeping pressure off the seat so it doesn't imprint.
Atomic Aquatics Second Stage Regulator Design
Two is Atomic has you covered:
This warranty is not contingent upon obtaining annual service, and will maintain in effect for the lifetime of the original owner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom