Regulator Service Tech Training - Tool Splitoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about it, I might utilise my highly advanced CAD skills (...) to come up with a few .stl's for some of the tools.
Might come in handy to be able to have some backups prepared by a printer - might be absolutely useless though due to strength of material obtained by a printer...
Does someone know about the legal aspects of this?
Legally, a tool is a tool.... only time patents come into play (if it's a patented tool) is if you are trying to sell it. I make parts with my printer often, and tools on occasion.... an example is the D420 face spanner that SP sells for some ridiculous amount. Way cheaper to print a tool for it. On the other hand, I'm not making a first stage assembly tool, due to concerns that the snap ring will scrape plastic shavings into the first stage. If I want one of those, I'll buy it or have one turned out of metal.

Best,

james

After digging through stuff, I put in my first order. When I checked my carts, I decided to go the cheap route first and not order some of the nicer tools. I'll most likely purchase those after the class. I assume I'll be able to decide after the class more precisely on what I do want, which workarounds work and so on.

View attachment 683654
Slotted orifice driver
SKU: 2000-SST-037
Price: €14.00
Qty: 1 €14.00
View attachment 683655
O-ring installation bullet-set
SKU: 4000-SST-045
Price: €12.00
Qty: 1 €12.00
View attachment 683656
Orifice seat extractor tool
SKU: 1000-SST-061
Price: €3.00
Qty: 1 €3.00
View attachment 683657
First stage holder
SKU: 2000-SST-056
Price: €13.00
Qty: 1 €13.00
View attachment 683658
Schrader valve stem tool
SKU: 1800-SST-042
Price: €9.00
Qty: 1 €9.00
View attachment 683659
Intermediate pressure gauge for inflator hose
SKU: 1800-SST-054
Price: €19.00
Qty: 1 €19.00
View attachment 683660
O-Ring pick set
SKU: 1800-SST-036
Price: €9.00
Qty: 1 €9.00
View attachment 683661
Inflator connector O-ring replacement toolset
SKU: 1000-SST-015
Price: €16.50

Vise:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LC6Y3XK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Custom Face Spanner:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008XHR4CO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Damn that was a difficult one!)

And:
Christo Lube MCG 111 Can (14g / 1/2oz) 24.00 €
OMS Silicone Grease (60 g) € 9.90 €

Plus Vendor specific Apeks Hook Spanner
Maintenance Tool - Hook Spanner € 8.90 €

Money spent so far:
222.58 €

Missing:
Inline 2nd stage adjusment tool - cannot find a european vendor without the gauge and thus making it less expensive. 115.00€ is - at this point - not reasonable.
Torque Wrench
Brass Pick Set
Trays
Regulator Service Kits
Thin wrenches
Hex Key Set

All of the stuff above is listed in that google doc from my earlier post, including the links.
What do earlier participants think is missing further?
I used the below linked post as reference.
Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

So long,
Sam

Nice tool set! That said, the first 3 are not needed although nice to have. “Slotted orifice driver” is just a fancy flathead screwdriver, I’ve never damaged an oring on a hose while not using a bullet (although I might get those in the future cause they’re cheap and make it easier), and the “orifice seat extractor” has many household item workarounds. Also, careful using that pic set as they look to be steel (unless I’m mistaken).

Silly question, can anyone tell me what length zip ties one would use for the reg mouthpiece? I found black ones on Amazon, but they have 4" and 8".

Silly question, can anyone tell me what length zip ties one would use for the reg mouthpiece? I found black ones on Amazon, but they have 4" and 8".
The width is more of the issue. I'll have to measure the width and get back to you unless someone beats me to it.

8"
I prefer those low profile zip tie

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_145527145.jpg
    IMG_20210924_145527145.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 106
Cool.. thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I’ve never damaged an oring on a hose while not using a bullet (although I might get those in the future cause they’re cheap and make it easier)

Apeks 1st stage service kit has a good o-ring bullet. That red plastic HP seat protective cover doubles as an o-ring bullet, actually better than brass bullets shown above. Yes I felt stupid when I realized this after buying a pair of bullets.

What happened!!!

Get a plastic hammer to bang your seized dry and dusty first stages around and loosen them
before you put them in an aluminiumised - rubberised vice and loosen it with a strap wrench

So you never barely ever, hack your beautiful regs around with that dumb rubbish c spanner

There is washing powder here, and washing powder everywhere, and beats simpleton green
Cheap too, better than a bought one!

I like to finish all my cable ties with a sharp knife, to leave it as smooth as a babies bottom

All you do is gently squeeze the head of your cable ties and they pop open cutting nothing
I’d like to see a video of this gentle squeeze and it popping right off… that would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom