Regulator Service Tech Training - Tool Splitoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there,

since Robert made his shopping-list public, I would like to take that as a start and enhance it.

I created a google doc, with which I try to bring in some order in terms of tools required for this and that job. The most difficult thing is, that Rob is just too nice of a person and tries to find a workaround for nearly every item. It's difficult for myself to actually grasp what tools do I need and where can I find them - at my budget. Roberts list is formatted nicer than mine, I will work on that. Google Doc might not be the best in term of formatting, but it enables online-edits and will keep the doc up-to-date for everyone without "_v1 / _v2" .....

International Shopping List

Further, I try to make it as convenient as somehow possible to pick up the items - so I include links for different regions.

In my humble opinion, the document is self-explanatory. I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Obviously, this is a "work in progress" - so Robert's list is not transferred fully, yet.

I feel that this is going to be more than I am capable of handling myself, so feel free to add to it.

To be honest, a great solution to not only the shopping-list-thing, but all the knowledge that will be delivered (expected from reviews, did not participate yet) is a wiki-kind thing. Every tool with all the offered workarounds could find its own page, every region with convenient links and so on .... But this is probably absolute overkill for my simple problem:

"What do I need? Where can I buy it?"

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers,
Sam

Excellent start, Sam! We can start amending this as we get suggestions.

The primary determinants of whether a side cutter will work for your zip ties is jaw opening, as pointed out above, and the thickness of the bevel on the cutting edges of the jaws. The advantage of the Hakko and similar is the single bevel, with the lower surface being flat, much like a traditional Japanese knife. That allows a flush snip.
A double bevel will usually leave a 1/4 mm protrusion of zip tie. If you can feel it, it's often sharp. I went through several iterations before I found a flush cutter whose jaws opened wide enough.

Maybe I’m doing it all wrong, but my Hakka won’t open wide enough.

upload_2021-9-17_17-12-34.jpeg

Neither would mine. But another brand's jaws were similar and would open up. Is that the Tsunoda in blue on the right? That looks great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom