Regulator service questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Yes it's me again :D. Since I seem to be problem prone I decided to start a fresh thread for general service questions.

While I was waiting on my new Scubapro lever I decided to service an S600 with a kit from VDH. Everything seemed to be going smoothly but when I pressurized it, slow leak. I worked on it for 3 hours doing everything I could think of. No better.

Today I finally had a few extra minutes so I started switching out parts. It seems to be the poppet. Not the seat or orings but the poppet itself though it looks perfect.

So my question is, what about the Scubapro poppet would cause a slow continuous leak?

Yes it's me again :D. Since I seem to be problem prone I decided to start a fresh thread for general service questions.

While I was waiting on my new Scubapro lever I decided to service an S600 with a kit from VDH. Everything seemed to be going smoothly but when I pressurized it, slow leak. I worked on it for 3 hours doing everything I could think of. No better.

Today I finally had a few extra minutes so I started switching out parts. It seems to be the poppet. Not the seat or orings but the poppet itself though it looks perfect.

So my question is, what about the Scubapro poppet would cause a slow continuous leak?

Was this a "necessary" service? :facepalm:Yes, sometime we just have to practice.

While you could always run into a defective part, I would be looking hard at the the balance chamber o-rings and for dirt or damage on the sealing surfaces in the balance chamber and poppet (where the LP seat must seal).

Also, you may have damaged the orifice o-ring. A 010 can be a tight fit with a metal orifice.

What makes you think the leak is from the poppet (body?)?

You would probably have said it was unnecessary :wink: but it had not been used in years and obviously needed a good cleaning.

The reason I say the poppet body is that I alternately replaced each part to see when it would leak and when not. It was only when the original poppet was in place that I had the leak. Replacing the seat and poppet o-rings did not help.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 07:13 PM ----------

Ok. Mystery solved. I shined a light down the length. Two cracks in the body of the poppet. One on the shaft and a second larger one at the base of a "wing."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom