Regulator Service notes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just FYI the owner of the company said that you shouldn't have to pressurize them when you soak them.
That's true, you don't. As long as you are sure you don't press the purge button while the second stage is underwater (he mentions that too).

But it's really hard to ensure that the purge button doesn't bump the bottom of the tub, the hoses, the first stage or anything else underwater.

The amount of water that enters will depend on how deep the second stage is and how long the purge is open. If you have a bunch of stuff soaking in the tub, it is possible for the purge to be depressed during the entire soak.

Yeah, but if it truly is fresh water incursion, how is that going to do any appreciable damage?
I've been soaking regs for 20 years unpressurized. I'm reasonably careful about it, but not OCD. Can't say that I've ever seen any problem caused by that and I overhaul my own regs.

So then for the benefit of general people

Soaking your regs pressurised also enables you to see minute leaks rather than cause them

Just FYI the owner of the company said that you shouldn't have to pressurize them when you soak them.
Yes that is what @cerich told me. Just don’t press the purge. If you can it is best to soak pressurized. But not all of us have a tank for that. You can also soak but keep the first stage above the seconds just in case purge gets hit.

If you accidentally get freshwater inside a reg during the soak, or suspect that you did, hook it up to a tank and purge both secod stages to blow out the moisture. A little freshwater will not do any harm.

@happy-diver Would a small pony bottle work for keeping reg pressurized? Or do you soak with full size tank? Seems a bit hard to do.

@Bubblesong, I soak mine attached to the tank I was diving with, that way they both get a good soak. Home Depot has an inexpensive plastic tote that is the same as the one I use for transporting gear, just larger. It fits my 100 and my 85 with reg attached. I’m looking into a cheap valve to rig to the tub so it drains easily, as it is quite heavy with that much water in it.

Erik

I’m looking into a cheap valve to rig to the tub so it drains easily, as it is quite heavy with that much water in it.

Just get a length of tubing and use it as a siphon...

I will use a "power siphon" - like they sell for aquariums or waterbeds. You do waste water, as they use flowing water to vacuum the other vessel out, but are useful.

upload_2019-11-23_9-18-10.png

Back
Top Bottom