Regulator Service and Tank Inspection Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just took two great classes last week to get certified (through TDI) to service Hog regulators and to do visual inspections on my scuba tanks. The classes were taught by Pete Murray, aka: NetDoc on ScubaBoard.com, at his workshop in O'Brien, FL.

The classes were great. I learned a lot about the physics and mechanics of how regulators work as well as how to service them. He explains things well and we got some great hands on experience taking our own regulators apart, cleaning and servicing them before we went to test them at Ginnie Springs. The dives were not part of the class but since we were in the area we wanted to get in the water.

The classes were facilitated rather than a lecture format. Lots of discussion and time to ask questions to make sure we understood why we were doing what we did.

The tank inspection class was also practical and educational with hands on experience.

It's always great when education can be fun and these classes was certainly that. I would recommend them to anyone.

It was a fun time!!! Of course, the age old question came up: How do get kits for other regs? I have an advantage in knowing lots of techs all over the place that will supply me kits when I need them. As a caveat: the class only includes rebuilding Hogs, Edges and Deep Six regs. Using your new talents on other regs is a personal decision that I neither promote or reject. Ultimately, you and only you are responsible for your safety.

This was also the first class where I did not use a magnehelic gauge to measure inspiration effort. What became a running joke, my magnehelics are stuck in a truck in Miami with a lot of other equipment! :( So I opted to use a bucket of water instead and it really helped my students to visualize what we were doing. I loved it and even though it's "low tech", it was better than a mag for teaching. I might show a magnehelic once I get them here, but the bucket is here to stay.

Here's a pic of my favorite magnehelic and a link:

s-l500.jpg

NEW Dwyer Magnehelic 0-5" Pressure Gauge | eBay

I also have to add that Bailey out did her father and [B]@HarleydiverOSU[/B]! I was worried that her lack of experience would hinder her, but she really "got it". You go girl!

Back
Top Bottom