regulator self assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmds

Registered
Reaction score
I have just bought new Mares proton ice 1st and 2nd stage reg and sherwood standard octo and will be purchasing a suunto cobra computer and was wondering if I can assemble these myself or if I have to take to the local dive shop for assembly? I didn't purchase from them so they may not take to the idea too well. Any help would be great.

Tom

Welcome to the boards!!

it's pretty easy to assemble them yourself. However, It is life support equipment. some people like having them tested before they get in the water with them. Also you'll need to have them serviced next year anyway! So, you might as well get to know your LDS now.

Tavi:
However, It is life support equipment. some people like having them tested before they get in the water ...you might as well get to know your LDS now.
I would agree. You will feel alot better having known that the regs were tested and in working order by a pro. Also, ifyou buy alot of otherthings there, they shouldn't mind horribly

You might want to phone ahead first & disguise your voice, it'll hurt a lot less than if you walk in & wind up getting yelled at & tossed out on yer ear.
Some shops could care less & welcome any customer with a smile.
Others are quick to cop a nasty attitude & can get downright abusive.

tmds:
I have just bought new Mares proton ice 1st and 2nd stage reg and sherwood standard octo and will be purchasing a suunto cobra computer and was wondering if I can assemble these myself or if I have to take to the local dive shop for assembly? I didn't purchase from them so they may not take to the idea too well. Any help would be great.

Tom

It's pretty obvious where everything needs to go. Just take the port plug(s) out and screw the hose(s) in. Try to organise everthing so as to minimize stress on the hoses and don't tighten too hard. (use a wrench but snug is good enough). Remember the 1st stage is made of brass and it's easily damaged by over tightening.

R..

Diver0001:
It's pretty obvious where everything needs to go. Just take the port plug(s) out and screw the hose(s) in. Try to organise everthing so as to minimize stress on the hoses and don't tighten too hard. (use a wrench but snug is good enough). Remember the 1st stage is made of brass and it's easily damaged by over tightening.

R..
easy enough to explain or even do if you have don it a hundred times. But think about someone that has just purchased probably their first set and never done this before.

My instructor did mine (I have a Proton ice too!). Having never done it before, and it obvioulsy being something VERY important!! I thought it would be be best to get a pro to do it.
Giving your LDS a call sounds like a good idea. If nothing else, at least you'll find out if they're friendly or not! Probably a good idea to call first, then take them in, rather than just turn up. :)

Thanks for the advice. This is the 3rd setup that I have bought. I have always bought from the LDS, but now I'm trying to save money not buying from them (approx. 65% savings). Thanks for all the help.

TMDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom