regulator selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedwardinlacey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need some help with selecting a regulator for purchas. I'm in a bit of a bind as I work two min. wage part time jobs so don't have a lot of spare $ on me. I am looking for a diaphram/environmentaly sealed regulator that will be great for diving in puget sound's cold waters but be under $300. Any suggestions? Also a regulator with an adjustable 2nd stage would be nice too if there's one I can afford.

As I recall from my Navy days (Subase Bangor) the Puget Sound does not get really really cold.......

If you don't go below about 45 degrees then a "cold water" reg is not really required.......

A highly regarded long time favorite first stage the Scuba Pro MK25 is not sealed..........

My vote for best low cost reg is the Aqualung Titan.........

My son dives a used rental one we bought 5 years ago for $135.........

At Leisure Pro for $225..........

Aqualung Titan Regulator

Hope this helps...........M

Just moved into the PacNorthwest, I would have to recommend the Zeagle reg line-up. Specifically I would look into the Envoy Deluxe. Its an adjustable 2nd stage with heat exchanger to help keep you and the reg warm. They're easy to get serviced and normally run about $350. Its not an evironmentally sealed reg, but I don't think that you'll find a sealed reg new for under $300. Other than that, I would look for a lightly used reg, but get it services professionally before diving it.

be careful about looking for for cheap regs. this is the most important part of the equipment and your life depends on it. as for LeisurePro purchases, i am told that the Scubapro warranty is limited to their repairs. Just a thought.

I was just wondering, has anyone had a reg actually freeze up on them in the PS? I have traveled to WA to dive with some buds several times, in all seasons and have never had a problem. I either use my Scubapro g250 with a mk2 1st stage or my KM/DSI Superflow rig.

I did a shore dive back in 98 at lime kiln lighthouse, and It was freezing cold, had dive gear set up in edmonds in back of truck, when recharged it free-flowed, and first stage was froze. sat it in cab with heat on and then went diving, good thing, this was a tusday or wendsday, and I saw a gray whale, came up to the wall, Ledge at around 50' I was at 80' or so and Lokked at this awesome looking whale, thinkin **** no one is going to belive this and the guy sittin on the ledge at fifty feet was Just a carpenter I took down for the first time, lookin face to face at this beautiful creature. Luckly when I came back up from my daily deep narc, Reggie a fellow I just taught an advance class with On saturday was on the surface and seen it.

But thats a big NO on your question shaggie, I have been deep and no problamo.

Happy Diving

What a great story VDG Man! Thanks for sharing. I was just wondering about the reg freeze issue since I've seen this topic before (sealed vs other reg type) but I can't say I've ever heard of a true UW freeze up, though I'm sure it's probably happened before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom