Regulator Savvy - First Edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quimby

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone seen or have a opinion of Peterbuilts new book
http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html

Regulator Savvy - Chapter Titles
Section One - How Regulators Work
Chap. 1. First Stage Forces
Chap. 2. Unbalanced First Stages
Chap. 3. Balanced First Stages
Chap. 4. O’Rings & HP Seats
Chap. 5. Special First Stage Features
Chap. 6. Second Stage Forces
Chap. 7. Unbalanced Downstream Valves
Chap. 8. Balanced Downstream Valves
Chap. 9. Venturi Assist & Case Geometry Fault
Chap. 10. Special Second Stage Features
Section Two - Regulator Adjustment Logic
Chap. 11. Regulator Testing & Testing Standards
Chap. 12. First Stage Preventive Trouble Shooting
Chap. 13. IP Gauges & Supply Pressure Control
Chap. 14. Second Stage Preventive Trouble Shooting
Chap. 15. Cracking Effort Forces & Design Vs. Adjustment
Chap. 16. Manufacturers’ Second Stage Tests
Chap. 17. Testing Beyond Manufacturers’ Requirements
Chap. 18. Understanding Dynamic Flow Testing
Chap. 19. Watertight Integrity & Regulator Test Data Sheet

... the mystique around regs that shops like to promote just gets less and less mysterious with time, does it not?

How long before divers consider 'em what they are - about as complex as a kitchen faucet - and stop allowing the manufacturers and dealers to play the "you must have us work on this and we won't sell you parts" card?

Those last 5 chapters make this look like it is designed for the professional shop environment rather than the kitchen table DIYers. But if DIYer tries it, please let me know what it has that Vance doesn't.

Thanks

Pete Wolfinger wrote the Scubapro tech manual, knows his stuff and does a good job presenting it in an understandable fashion. He does state though that it is not a do it yourself guide.

Yes, DA, but we all know that is double-speak for, "Covering my own A$$."

Maybe I'll write a book on it too. As I am flat broke and have no assets, I wouldn't be a large target, and whine as they might, how do you hurt a guy with nothing to lose?

Heheheh

Yes it's language designed to cover his A$$ just like all the little disclaimers at the bottom of technical schematics for regulators. But from your example you would have to admit the disclaimers are there because there is a reason they have to cover their a$$es. The sad state of affairs in this country is that if someone read the book and then did their own overhaul and then died because of it, the grieving widow would sue the a$$ off anyone involved in helping the deceased service their own reg.

awap once bubbled...
[But if DIYer tries it, please let me know what it has that Vance doesn't.

Thanks [/B]

Would be very interested in knowing if it offers something in addition to the Vance Harlow book.

Back
Top Bottom