Regulator Resistance Adjustment on My ScubaPro MK25/600T

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
Yours could probably be tweeked a little bit but it would not be worth the trouble or expense in terms of performance to have it done. If you are a DIYer, you can keep it tuned fairly hot and handle the occasional leak (when you got too agressive) with a 1/2 turn of the adj knob.

Thanks guys. I can't do the water column test since I don't have a tank at home - and my shop compressor can't achieve the intermediate pressure of my reg set.

I'll try it before I dive next time. Sounds like a great comprehensive check on the secondary. Thanks so much for the insightful and comprehensive comments!

rmarsh3309:
Thanks guys. I can't do the water column test since I don't have a tank at home - and my shop compressor can't achieve the intermediate pressure of my reg set.

I'll try it before I dive next time. Sounds like a great comprehensive check on the secondary. Thanks so much for the insightful and comprehensive comments!

There are two knobs on the MK25/ S600. Knob on the left side of the mouth piece, adjusts how much air will flow-resistance, and one on the top, the venturi will stop a free flow. Go to your dive shop and put reg on a tank, start a free flow then slightly adjust the top venturi knob, towards your face, until the reg stops free flowing. Leave the top venturi knob at that setting for all you dives, this was told to me by the man that does manitenance on the reg each year. The left side knob, that adjusts resistance, flow of air, should be adjusted to your comfort level. You should notice some slight difference in the shop but it will be more noticable at depth. Hope this helps?

pilot fish:
this was told to me by the man that does manitenance on the reg each year.

And god knows he couldn't be wrong. :D

Seems to me like a lot of unnecessary fiddling with the VIVA adjustment. When I use that type reg, the is set to MAX (flow) if the reg is in my mouth and MIN (flow) if the reg is not in my mouth or we are practicing OOA drills. Again, if the reg is in my mouth, the resistance adj is set to the easiest breathing position that does not leak. Except in current or if I got too aggressive with the tuning, that position is cranked all the way out. With a Mk5 or Mk10 which is not as well balanced as the Mk20/25, I often have back off 1/4 turn (on my BA) for the descent with max tank pressure to avoid a little leaking. Then I can usually crank it all the way open.

awap:
And god knows he couldn't be wrong. :D

Seems to me like a lot of unnecessary fiddling with the VIVA adjustment. When I use that type reg, the is set to MAX (flow) if the reg is in my mouth and MIN (flow) if the reg is not in my mouth or we are practicing OOA drills. Again, if the reg is in my mouth, the resistance adj is set to the easiest breathing position that does not leak. Except in current or if I got too aggressive with the tuning, that position is cranked all the way out. With a Mk5 or Mk10 which is not as well balanced as the Mk20/25, I often have back off 1/4 turn (on my BA) for the descent with max tank pressure to avoid a little leaking. Then I can usually crank it all the way open.

One hopes, since he has been doing reg maintenance in that shop for 15 years, that he is very right :).

There is no unnecessary fiddling with the vneturi, once you set the adjustment that stops the free flow. The left knowb is adjusted to your comfort level. Most divers set it to wide open, which is what I do as well. it's a a great reg.

FWIW, the Northern California ScubaPro rep, Joe Geiss, says that the S600 is set to be used in the openmost position Turning it at all from there is simply de-tuning the reg and he recommends not doing that at all. He says he'd like to do away with the adjustable knob completely.

WileEDiver:
FWIW, the Northern California ScubaPro rep, Joe Geiss, says that the S600 is set to be used in the openmost position Turning it at all from there is simply de-tuning the reg and he recommends not doing that at all. He says he'd like to do away with the adjustable knob completely.

Ask him if he has ever tried to hold his position while looking into a 2 knot current. There are a few times, not many, when detuning is good.

awap:
Ask him if he has ever tried to hold his position while looking into a 2 knot current. There are a few times, not many, when detuning is good.
That's ok, I'll let you do it.

WileEDiver:
Well...not really...It depends on how the second stage is tuned.

If the tech detunes the reg initially so that even with the adjustment knob all the way out you have a cracking effort of about 1.4" of water, there will never be a need to adjust the reg as it will not freeflow in a mild current or when you are in a face down position. In that sense Joe would be correct, any further adjustment of the reg would just further detune it and would not be required under normal circumstances. However a tech who tunes an adjustable second stage in this manner is already guilty of excessively detuning the reg and is preventing you from taking advantage of the higher performance capabilities of the second stage in the orientations that allow it.

When the diver is looking straight down, the reg is in a worst case postion and the cracking effort needs to be a little higher to prevent a slight freeflow (about 1.2 to 1.4 " of water) as the center of the diaphragm is deeper than the top of the exhaust valve. However in a normal swimming position, a head up (looking horizontal) position or when looking upward, the cracking effort can be progressively decreased to as low as .6 or.7" of water. In those cases, if the diver prefers they can turn the knob out until the reg is just short of freeflowing and enjoy minimum breathing effort. Most divers who adjust the reg will probably spend most of the dive with a cracking effort around .8 to 1.0" of water, significantly better performance than a reg detuned to 1.4 inches of water.

For divers who prefer not to mess with the adjustment, they can adjust it so it does not freeflow when looking straight down, and leave it there for the entire dive. However even those divers may desire the ability to adjust it for a slightly harder breathing if they ever use a scooter or if they find themselves holding positon in a strong current as both situations can cause the reg to freeflow due to the increased pressure on the diapgragm.

Personally, I like the adjust the orifice in SP adjustable second stages so that they are just short of a freeflow with the knob all the way out. This allows a cracking effort adjustement range of about .6 to 2.5 inches of water. It allows adequate adjustment for any condition and puts less pressure on the soft seat during storage. (the knob should always be all the way out when the reg is not in use.)

As for Mr. Geiss saying he'd prefer they do away with the S600's adjustment knob completely, SP already offers that option in the S550 which is an S600 without an adjutment knob. So in essence, what Joe is saying is that since he does not like adjustment knobs, no one else should be allowed to have them either. That's a pretty self centered point of view. God help us if he ever gets elected to public office.

WileEDiver:
That's ok, I'll let you do it.

Is the problem that you believe I am wrong? Or is it just that you are concerned about appearing to question someone in such an exhalted position? Or have you heard the same things I have about how interested SP is in what the "little guy" has to say? :crafty:

I am beginning to suspect that being unapproachable or unconcerned with comments from the field is a job requirement for sales reps as our sales rep is also pretty unresponsive to input from the field. I have always gotten the impression that selling whatever the company produces without question is what turns him on and that he dismisses a shop owner who has concerns or makes constructive critism as being disloyal. It's too bad, as that field experience and related input are some of the most valuable assets a company can have. It is a whole lot more valauble than going somewhere tropical to do "test dives" on products.

Back
Top Bottom