Regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok guys, I did some searching but came up rather empty on this, though it's pretty basic.

I will need to purchase new regs. First and second stage. My intent is to buy one set (1st, 2nd, backup) and then buy a mirror set in a 6-8 months when I add a second tank (these will be AL80s). My concerns are twofold. First, I need a set that has fairly decent hose routing on a single. However, I also need it to have nearly ideal routing on a double.

I have 2 dive shops near me. They carry the following desireable brands:

1. ScubaPro
2. Zeagle
3. Dive Rite

The shop that carries SP and Zeagle is supposedly licensed to carry Apeks, but I've never seen one there. And to be frank, I'm not thrilled about having my regs serviced at a shop that sees only a couple of those models per year.

I'd rather keep my costs down, and I have no need to spend $700 on a reg set. My thoughts thus far had been to go with the Apeks DS4, live with the somewhat less than ideal hose routing for a single, and just buy 2 full sets so that I could send one away and dive the other while it was being serviced somewhere other than where I live.

I keep hearing good things about the Dive Rite (How is the Octo?) and DR is located about 50 minutes drive from me. The ATX200 and 100 first stages seem to have marvelous hose routing, but do command a premium.

I'd be glad to hear what you guys have to say, as I can't believe I am the only poor ******* who's faced this. :)

-P

Perrone -

Apeks seems to be the 1st/2nd of choice for many DIR divers these days. I myself use a Scubapro MK25 X650/R390 for singles, and another MK25 added when I use doubles. I do plan to go with some Apeks in the future, however.

I've heard good things about the MK16/25 & G250HP setup. Nice and affordable, yet decent performance. Had I known what I do now, I definitely would have chosen a different model other than the X650.

Chances are, that LDS is an authorized dealer for Apex, but pushes Scubapro becasue of the higher prices (and profits) and dealer agreements.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

PerroneFord:
I keep hearing good things about the Dive Rite (How is the Octo?) and DR is located about 50 minutes drive from me. The ATX200 and 100 first stages seem to have marvelous hose routing, but do command a premium.

I'd be glad to hear what you guys have to say, as I can't believe I am the only poor ******* who's faced this. :)

-P

All you need are DS4, TX 50s. Go here: http://www.divetheabyss.com/

I can buy this stuff basically at cost from dive stores, but often order from these guys since their prices are really good and are much easier to deal with than a store making little profit (or in my jaded opinion most stores even at full retail). Their website sucks, but just email them. You want a DS4, two TX 50s, one with a 7' hose on it, one with a 22" hose on it, and a stainless HP gauge (they have them) with a 24" hose on it. He will ship it to you with the correct hoses. I think the LP inflator hose is 22" but don't recall off the top of my head.

Wow, that divetheabyss place has just about the worst web site I've ever seen, AND their prices are way higher than DiveInn.

Go to www.diveinn.com and get your 2x ATX50 + DS4 for $410, then go to www.techdivinglimited.com to get the proper hoses. The single stage routing is not a problem.

Not sure what to tell you about servicing. IMO you're well served to spend a few bucks on the tools and do it yourself, but not everyone is into that.

ScubaPro will work fine.

Oh yeah, DiveInn (even though they're in Spain) currently has free 3-day shipping to the US. So there's no tax on those regs.. $410.42 and you have your DS4 and two ATX50s in hand on Monday.

Or you could wait until Barry has DS4's in stock and get 2 DS4's a TX50, an ATX50 and a pressure guage for $750 + shipping and see if he'll throw the hoses into the deal. Or it's $90 for the hoses unless you already have them.

Robert Phillips:
Or you could wait until Barry has DS4's in stock and get 2 DS4's a TX50, an ATX50 and a pressure guage for $750 + shipping and see if he'll throw the hoses into the deal.
Damn that's a much better deal.

$750 for a reg that may or may not be in stock any time soon, or $410 to have the same thing in your hands on Monday! :wink:

jonnythan:
Wow, that divetheabyss place has just about the worst web site I've ever seen, AND their prices are way higher than DiveInn.

Go to www.diveinn.com and get your 2x ATX50 + DS4 for $410, then go to www.techdivinglimited.com to get the proper hoses. The single stage routing is not a problem.

Not sure what to tell you about servicing. IMO you're well served to spend a few bucks on the tools and do it yourself, but not everyone is into that.

ScubaPro will work fine.

I have never used their website because it does suck. But, their actual prices have always been much better than what is posted if you just email and ask. As a first time purchaser it may be necessary to mention all of his ebay prices first. I don't care where you guys get regs though.

You guys rock! I'll see what the money scenario is like next week, then pull the trigger. Any hot sources for a bottom timer (Uwatec) or should I snag one off Ebay?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom