regulator package which one should i look at

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at what gear i want to buy when i go to get my ow cert.
I had planned on a tusa regulator package from scubatoys. But i figured out i could spend alittle more since i will be paying for my class a month ahead.
My budget is around 800. I was thinking 600 for a reg package and 200 for a tank. But i will dive in march when i get my ow. Then proplery not again untill it warms up here in indiana around the end of may. If by some chance i end up in florida again i could just rent a tank.

So i am thinking take all the 800 buy a good reg package and then a tank say in may when it warms up enough to dive here.

So what regulator package or what regulator computer and octo would you recommend. in that price range.
I was thinking the Mares Abyss Regulator Package from scubatoys. What do you think of it. Will it be ok in water from say 10 feet to 130. And will it be ok in water both cold and warm say between 60 and 75 degrees. I will not be diving colder then 60 if that cold.

Mares Abyss Regulator Package reviews and discounts, Mares

$600 will get you a real good reg and gauges. There are so many good ones out there, that the best one to get is the one that can be easily serviced by your dive shop. I wouldn't even bother with a tank. Most rentals are around $10 and fill ups won't be much less. You'll have to dive a lot to make a tank purchase pay it's self off. Most times you'll probably want 2 tanks since you probably won't get more than an hour off of a tank. For $800 you should be able to buy most manufacturers flagship reg, which are usually more performance than most people will ever need, a safe second, and gauge set.

I do agree with the tank issues. I did not intend on buying one untill i though about all the clean clear stripper pits. As deep as 60 or even 80 feet on some. But there is no dive some for 50 miles. I think your right about two tanks to but what worrys me is i was told at 440 I would burn through a tank as quick as 20 or 30 minutes. I plan to check with my local firestation to see if they fill them. I hope they do.
The guy from scubatoys said normaly they do because they fill the fire fighting tanks.

$600 will get you a real good reg and gauges. There are so many good ones out there, that the best one to get is the one that can be easily serviced by your dive shop. I wouldn't even bother with a tank. Most rentals are around $10 and fill ups won't be much less. You'll have to dive a lot to make a tank purchase pay it's self off. Most times you'll probably want 2 tanks since you probably won't get more than an hour off of a tank. For $800 you should be able to buy most manufacturers flagship reg, which are usually more performance than most people will ever need, a safe second, and gauge set.

I would recommend Scuba pro or oceanic. You want to buy something that a dive shop can work on with out having to send to manufacture to get fixed. also all scuba pro replacement parts are free you just have to pay dive shop labor fee.

Why buy now? Take the course first. I suggest trying the rental gear and see what your instructor and fellow divers are using. With experience you will most likely change your mind on what you want presently. Many of us buy gear and later on re-sell it or keep it wishing we waited.

I dive with the Abyss/Proton Mares set up and like it very much. It breathes well in all positions and is virtually the same at 5m or 30m. For what it is worth, I would choose an SPG that includes a compass. Go analog and save some money. This will make things easier for your cert and serve you well as you continue to dive (i.e compass). You can invest in a dive computer if you see yourself diving a lot later on. Again, see what others are using and take some time so you get things that really suit you well.

Why tanks? Can't you just rent them and let the shop deal with maintenance? Fire Station fills!! Stick with a dive shop, don't try to save money this way.

Good luck with the course! If you do make it to Thailand, rent tanks locally :)

Arizona

I do agree with the tank issues. I did not intend on buying one untill i though about all the clean clear stripper pits. As deep as 60 or even 80 feet on some. But there is no dive some for 50 miles. I think your right about two tanks to but what worrys me is i was told at 440 I would burn through a tank as quick as 20 or 30 minutes. I plan to check with my local firestation to see if they fill them. I hope they do.
The guy from scubatoys said normaly they do because they fill the fire fighting tanks.
Just make sure the air is scuba quality, because some contaminants that are fine to breathe on the surface could be much more problematic at depth (much like pure oxygen is).

I guess if this is your fill method though, you'll have little choice but to purchase tanks - but why not wait until at least after OW. And 2 tanks seems to be about he standard in recreational diving, regardless of how long it lasts you, since that way you can go to a site, do one dive, spend some time on land, then do a second dive with your other tank. Another advantage to waiting after OW is you'll see how fast you go through air (compare to others in the class: because all OW students and new divers tend to use way more air than they need - something I'm still trying to work on). You can use that knowledge to help choose a tank (size and low pressure vs high pressure).

I have been looking at the abyss proton from mares.
What kind of diving are you doing.
The reason for buying a tank is not to save money but there is not a dive sho for atleast 50 miles most are out to 100 miles away.
It would cost me 75 bucks in gas and a 100to 200 mile trip just to rent a tank to dive within 10 miles of my house
Why buy now? Take the course first. I suggest trying the rental gear and see what your instructor and fellow divers are using. With experience you will most likely change your mind on what you want presently. Many of us buy gear and later on re-sell it or keep it wishing we waited.

I dive with the Abyss/Proton Mares set up and like it very much. It breathes well in all positions and is virtually the same at 5m or 30m. For what it is worth, I would choose an SPG that includes a compass. Go analog and save some money. This will make things easier for your cert and serve you well as you continue to dive (i.e compass). You can invest in a dive computer if you see yourself diving a lot later on. Again, see what others are using and take some time so you get things that really suit you well.

Why tanks? Can't you just rent them and let the shop deal with maintenance? Fire Station fills!! Stick with a dive shop, don't try to save money this way.

Good luck with the course! If you do make it to Thailand, rent tanks locally :)

Arizona

I am thinking the thing to do is wait till summer or atleast may on the tank. As i will not be diving around here till may. Plus i can take the tank money and buy a better reg.
Questiond is there a large tank i can buy that would hold say enough air to fill a normal tank say 6 or 7 times. then take it to a dive shop and get it refilled once every few months
Just make sure the air is scuba quality, because some contaminants that are fine to breathe on the surface could be much more problematic at depth (much like pure oxygen is).

I guess if this is your fill method though, you'll have little choice but to purchase tanks - but why not wait until at least after OW. And 2 tanks seems to be about he standard in recreational diving, regardless of how long it lasts you, since that way you can go to a site, do one dive, spend some time on land, then do a second dive with your other tank. Another advantage to waiting after OW is you'll see how fast you go through air (compare to others in the class: because all OW students and new divers tend to use way more air than they need - something I'm still trying to work on). You can use that knowledge to help choose a tank (size and low pressure vs high pressure).

Big Tim,

A few questions do you plan on diving alone? I would not recommend this!! Be safe, your enthusiasm is fantastic, but diving with a buddy is safer and whole lot better IMO. Think about how often you will dive and if you can get fills in your area. It may be that you have no choice but to drive the distance for the fills anyway. Maybe the shop will be willing to meet you somewhere in between if you develop a regular relationship. Renting tanks for a group of people will add up and be more of an incentive for the shop to work with you. You may also get bored with "local" diving" so buying the tanks maybe a big loss in the end.

As Cold Water wrote, "Just make sure the air is scuba quality, because some contaminants that are fine to breathe on the surface could be much more problematic at depth (much like pure oxygen is)."

Is there a dive club or others in your area that are doing something similar? Maybe you can start one.

Enjoy the course and get some experience as this will most likely help you buy the right stuff for you.

I dive almost exclusively in Thailand. The water on average is about 28-29c (82-82f).

AZ

I am thinking the thing to do is wait till summer or atleast may on the tank. As i will not be diving around here till may. Plus i can take the tank money and buy a better reg.
Questiond is there a large tank i can buy that would hold say enough air to fill a normal tank say 6 or 7 times. then take it to a dive shop and get it refilled once every few months
I'd doubt anything like that exists, at least at a price that would make sense for you (you'd probably be better off just buying a crapload of tanks).

But with the regulator, why are you buying this at all now? I understand with wetsuit and BCD you were concerned the rentals may not fit, but wouldn't it make sense to at least wait until you pass OW before buying things like a regulator?

I'm in the process of buying gear right now, but I have to hold off for a few weeks until I'm in the USA to order it. I know it's really tempting and I don't want to wait any longer to buy it. I also know prior to my OW I was excited just to buy my personal gear: I guess it was one step closer to actually diving or something. No one but you can decide what to buy, but just make sure you're not letting excitement carry you away (this coming from someone who's often guilty of doing just that :) )

But best of luck with whatever you decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom