Regulator Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UtahGetMe2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone! After lurking in the shadows reading as much as I can before I post something its finally time for my first post. I just got my open water certification and I've been trying to decide what regulator to purchase. I've been to 3 LDS and have been told to purchase 3 different regulators that they all described as "the best" for what I need. I plan on purchasing the regulator at an LDS rather than online.

Right now my dive goals are to dive on vacations and at home in Long Island, NY. I plan on furthering my certifications and eventually would like to get into tech diving but realistic do not know how quickly that would happen.

1st Dive shop recommended Mares Abyss or Proton

2nd Dive shop recommended Apeks XTX 50 (worker said that it was much better than a Mares)

3rd Dive shop recommended Aqualung Legend ACD Supreme (worker said it was much better than the Apeks and Mares)

I'm assuming that they are trying to sell the products that they have in their store and that what they were telling me was not entirely accurate (although I could be wrong).

Money is not a big factor because I just want something that is going to perform at a high level at all times without the worry of something happening to it.

I'm pretty sure that only the Apeks and Aqualung are environmentally sealed, but am not positive. Does the environmentally sealed feature only apply to when the water is very cold or are there other benefits to having that feature?

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

I vote for the XTX50... year round, cold/hot & sealed. I have the XTX200 so I may be biased there.

I also like the Hollis 212 as its sealed, got perfect scores like the Apeks, great for cold/hot and there are some awesome online prices on them right now, which you may get a LDS to match.

So, how do you define "better"? I like effortless breathing and I don't like bubbles in my face. I went with Atomic.

This is one of those things that if you ask 10 people, you'll get 11 different opinions. :)

All three are strong regs......you will find folks who really like all of them......

Which do you prefer based on things like, hose routing, port location, purge feel and method, adjustment feel, mouth piece feel, store location and relationship, LDS ability to service......

Remember no reg is 100% foolproof all time......it is all about how you maintain and treat it.....so factor that into your choice....

What kind of deal can you get on a package with your alternate second stage and pressure gauge?

While others may not think it is important, I am a big fan of free service parts for life......

Hope this helps......M

I just want something that is going to perform at a high level at all times without the worry of something happening to it.

All three will meet that criteria.

Having said that generally I would only buy a Mares over the others if it had a metal second stage, which both of those do. Neither of those are marketed as cold water regulators, but metal second stages do work better in cold water - that still leaves the first stage. The Extreme version of Abyss is marketed as a cold water regulator. A metal second stage will also deliver more humid air, a nice benefit.

If you ignore cold water issues, environmental seal will make cleaning the regulator a bit easier but that's the tech's concern rather than yours, as long as you rinse it properly. <45F is definitely cold water as far as regulators are concerned, however, and at that level Aqualung is the one that'd be most resistant to freeflow, I believe

I'll throw in Scubapro Mk17 & A700. Dove them for the first time this weekend and LOVE THEM. Of the few regs I've used, the A700 is the best breathing IMO. All of the others required a little vacuum to crack open (not a lot, and I certainly didn't mind diving with them). I wanted air and it was there with zero noticable effort to crack it open.

The Mk17 is a good reg for dirty or salt water because it's a sealed diaphram reg. From what I've read, being sealed also helps the 1st stage resist freezing, and in theory, the metal 2nd should resist freezing better than plastic 2nds, although all SP regs are EN 250:2000 rated meaning they are tested to function in 39*F water.

Where on LI are you from? I'm originally from the North Fork.

Sorry for not being able to figure out using the quote button. I click it and the blue square turns red but I don't know what that means. For now copy/paste should be fine:

"If you want to be independent get a Scubapro and learn to do your own rebuilds."- Dr. Wu
Eventually I would like to do my own rebuilds, but I do not feel comfortable with my limited experience/knowledge to do that at this time.

"So, how do you define "better"? I like effortless breathing and I don't like bubbles in my face. I went with Atomic."- DeusVerto
The worker at the LDS used that word so I can't really answer that.

"Where on LI are you from? I'm originally from the North Fork."- Cougar281
I'm from Moriches. I did my cert at Southold Town beach.

"All three are strong regs......you will find folks who really like all of them......
Which do you prefer based on things like, hose routing, port location, purge feel and method, adjustment feel, mouth piece feel, store location and relationship, LDS ability to service......
Remember no reg is 100% foolproof all time......it is all about how you maintain and treat it.....so factor that into your choice....
What kind of deal can you get on a package with your alternate second stage and pressure gauge?
While others may not think it is important, I am a big fan of free service parts for life......"- Jorgy
One place will most likely give me a deal on a package and I am not sure but I think he provides free servicing, but the other place has a pool in the back of the store that I could try the reg out before I bought it and I do not know if he would entertain package discounts, however I will stop by this week and check. The place with the pool charges $140 per servicing for all equipment.

Also Jorgy due to my newbism I am not familiar with "hose routing & port location".

Apex XTX200

Super good, in warm water, in cold water and in deep water. Adjustments built right on the mask as conditions, temperature and depth changes.

Great piece of equipment

Back
Top Bottom