Regulator leaking/free flowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got my Atomic B2 second stage in the mail today. I decided to use it as my primary. To do so, I removed the ABS Octo from the yellow hose. Then I removed the Titan second stage from it's original black hose, and connected it to the yellow hose (the Titan was originally my primary, but I decided to use it as an Octo now, instead of the ABS octo I have). Then I removed the old hose that the titan was connected to and replaced that with the B2 set-up (swivel hose and B2)

I connected the regulator to my tank. The B2 works flawlessly but now the Titan is leaking air from the mouthpiece. I have tried to turn down the dial for breathing ease but to no avail. I have also put the titan back on it's original hose, again to no avail.
What could the problem be?

check the intermediate pressure of the first stage...

check the intermediate pressure of the first stage...

The issue is that everything was working fine prior to installing the B2. The ABS and Titan were working fine last night when I turned on the tank.

Thanks Jim. I suppose it's time to take it to the shop. Any idea what this may run me?

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 12:56 PM ----------

I just submurged the reg in water to see where exactly the air is coming out of. When turned over it comes out of the mouthpiece (like a freeflow) but other than that it usually comes out of the exhaust of the reg.

Just changing a 2nd stage doesn't cause free flow.

When you turn on the tank press the purge button. If the free flow starts immediately , then the problem is probably in the second stage.

If it takes a couple of seconds before it starts to leak, then you have a IP pressure built up in your 1st stage that leads to a 2nd stage mechanism override and you have check the 1st stage high pressure seat and the orifice.

If you have only a problem with your primary 2nd, you could swap it for your ABS as the octopus and use your Atomic as the primary 2nd stage.

You could bring your Titan 2nd to the technician and he could adjust it.

Better would be to bring the regulator complete to the technician, but that could be much more expensive than just checking and adjusting the Titan 2nd.

Good luck.

If it were me I wouldn't charge more than say $10 to retune a reg. If it needed a seat then you might as well rebuild the whole thing. I don't know what a titan kit runs but I'd charge 20- 25 labor to do it. Depends on how involved it got and how much time I needed to spend cleaning.

Is it a Titan or a LX 2nd stage you will now use as an Octo?

First off get yourself an IP gauge. Not expensive under 20 bucks.

I suspect your IP is fine and you just need to tweak the 2nd stage.
Screw in the orifice thats located inside the reg where the hose attaches....1/8th of a turn only.
If that doesn't fix it try another 1/8th....if still no luck it's a 1st stage problem.
If you have an LX and you now want to use it as an octo go to the other end and remove the rubber cap that's part of the venturi lever....underneath there's a hex screw, use an allen wrench and turn this clockwise 1 1/2 to 2 turns.....what you're doing is turning the cracking pressure adjustment like on your Atomic, only they haven't bothered to but an actual knob on the LX.

Is it a Titan or a LX 2nd stage you will now use as an Octo?

First off get yourself an IP gauge. Not expensive under 20 bucks.

I suspect your IP is fine and you just need to tweak the 2nd stage.
Screw in the orifice thats located inside the reg where the hose attaches....1/8th of a turn only.
If that doesn't fix it try another 1/8th....if still no luck it's a 1st stage problem.
If you have an LX and you now want to use it as an octo go to the other end and remove the rubber cap that's part of the venturi lever....underneath there's a hex screw, use an allen wrench and turn this clockwise 1 1/2 to 2 turns.....what you're doing is turning the cracking pressure adjustment like on your Atomic, only they haven't bothered to but an actual knob on the LX.

You were correct! I had to turn the crown in until it sat flush, then turned it out 3 turns. She's working like a charm now. Thanks so much.

If it were me I wouldn't charge more than say $10 to retune a reg. If it needed a seat then you might as well rebuild the whole thing. I don't know what a titan kit runs but I'd charge 20- 25 labor to do it. Depends on how involved it got and how much time I needed to spend cleaning.

Thanks Jim, thankfully it wasn't the seat. I found a guide online and used that to troubleshoot the reg, then looked at Fish's post and found that he was correct. I'll take it to the LDS anyways, I'd rather not end a $40 dive early just to save $10-$25

Just changing a 2nd stage doesn't cause free flow.

When you turn on the tank press the purge button. If the free flow starts immediately , then the problem is probably in the second stage.

If it takes a couple of seconds before it starts to leak, then you have a IP pressure built up in your 1st stage that leads to a 2nd stage mechanism override and you have check the 1st stage high pressure seat and the orifice.

If you have only a problem with your primary 2nd, you could swap it for your ABS as the octopus and use your Atomic as the primary 2nd stage.

You could bring your Titan 2nd to the technician and he could adjust it.

Better would be to bring the regulator complete to the technician, but that could be much more expensive than just checking and adjusting the Titan 2nd.

Good luck.

Thank you, the problem was actually in the second stage. Solved it thanks to Fishpie and a little messing around with the 2nd stage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom