regulator intermediate pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, what happens if the regulator IP is not well tuned within the specifications suggested by manufacturers? will this cause a problem with the second stage?

Will the problem differ if the IP is less or more than the suggested IP? does the amount of difference between the suggested IP and the real IP matter?

A real case, a friend of mine wants to buy a regulator that gives an IP of 10.5 bars, while he thinks that the octo is pricy, he wantes to get a cheaper octo but works for IP 9 bars (I don't know the brands but these are his numbers)... should he go for this combination?

You can turn the IP down on the first stage if you want, but the second stage will not breathe as well as it could.

If your friend knows how to adjust the second stage, he might be able to get away with an IP that is higher than rated for the second stage. But, then again, it might be more likely to free-flow.

I would buy regulators that are made to work at the same pressures. I wouldn't try to save a few bucks by sacrificing the integrity of my life support device. And, like always, you get what you pay for.

Jon

It depends somewhat on the second stage but that is just outside the published acceptable range of most regs, 9.3(135 psi) to 10 (145psi) bar. A few bar/psi does not make that much difference in how a reg breaths to a human, a machine may can tell the difference but it's not worth worrying about. If the second stages happen to be balanced then that difference will not be noticable at rec diving depths- that is the purpose of balancing. The biggest issue I see is that the octo may leak and will definately have to be adjusted to work with the higher IP, not a problem but will have to be done. Personally, I would just split the difference betweent the 2 IPs, say at 10 BAR, adjust both seconds to that and go diving. And at my next service I would have all my regs set to the same IP, that way everything is interchangable in case I needed to swap stages around for some reason.....just makes life easier. The biggest issue your friend may have is service. If his service shop does not service both brands, it may cause him some problems getting them serviced.

Hi, what happens if the regulator IP is not well tuned within the specifications suggested by manufacturers? will this cause a problem with the second stage?

Will the problem differ if the IP is less or more than the suggested IP? does the amount of difference between the suggested IP and the real IP matter?

A real case, a friend of mine wants to buy a regulator that gives an IP of 10.5 bars, while he thinks that the octo is pricy, he wantes to get a cheaper octo but works for IP 9 bars (I don't know the brands but these are his numbers)... should he go for this combination?

Considering that even a normal "octo" is pretty cheap, this must be absolute bottom-of-the-barrel stuff if he can't find an alternate second stage that uses the same IP as his primary.

What he's saying is that your life isn't worth a couple of extra dollars.

I'd find a new dive buddy.

Back
Top Bottom