Regulator Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseiden makes terrific regulators that would be my first choice for cold water diving except that they are a <insert expletive> to service and keep tuned and hard to find qualified technicians for. When you can find it, service often costs more than for other regulators because of the amount of time required and the money you'll spend on parts kits could feed a small Caribbean nation.

In order of personal preference for cold water diving, then: anything Apeks, the Aqualung Supremes (both Titan and Legend) and Sherwood Blizzard are the best choices. Though I own (and like) several ScubaPro regulators, I won't use them in really cold water - the general concensus is that they freeze up too easily, certainly that has been my experience.

I own a number of various Apeks and a couple of Legends that have repeatedly been well below your 200ft benchmark in very cold water without trouble. I'd be willing to take a Poseiden to the deep (but haven't) and I wouldn't use the Blizzard and the Titan for anything below recreational depths.

Smart move staying away from the FFM, at least for now. They have their place but they present a set of challenges that new divers don't need to be dealing with, especially in cold water, especially at depth.

Apeks, Zeagle Flathead, Dive Rite RG2500ICE, SP Mk17. If it was my money, I'd buy an Apeks DS4 and call it a day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom