Regulator for Xmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

priceatl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Reef Dwellers...

Mike Price here....one of your newer members.....live up in Cumming.

My teenage boys and I were OW certified in April and I want to get them started collecting their own gear.

I want to start with the regulator (I think that makes sense) but I am really clueless on what to buy. At this point they dive only a few times a year but that may pick up as they go to college next year.

Anyway, can anybody provide some insight into features, quality, and price range? I see tons of choices on the web and I went to Seaventures and looked around but they seemed to have limited choices.

Any help is appreciated and I hope to dive with you all soon!

Thanks, Mike.

Atomic Aquatics. Their regs breathe the same at 20ft as they do at 120ft. All models breathe the same too, so the cheapest Atomic breathes the same as the most expensive (weight, materials and features are the determining factors in price, not ease of breathing). They're not cheap, but they only need to be serviced once every two years vs once a year with other regulators, so that alone makes the price worth paying, as it's not cheap to get your regs serviced, and it only takes a few years to make your money back.

If I haven't convinced you to get Atomic, then my next recommendation would be Scubapro. They make solid regs.

I would purchase my regs from a local dive shop if at all possible. Atomic has a pretty good warranty, and I think Scubapro has a service deal that's pretty good, but it's only available if you get the reg at an authorized dealer.

Most any modern reg will do for 90% of the divers diving. The differences in them are not as great as many would have you believe. The major concern is really service. IMO avoid upstart brands and lesser know brands, not that there is anything wrong with them, many are very good in fact but a reg will last a lifetime as long as parts and service are available. The older established companies have been around for a long time, will likely be here for many more years and have a bigger network of dealers, a huge advantage when you are away from home diving and the reg needs help. Mid range price regulators give you the best value. They contain the usefull features with out the glitz (and cost) of the high end regs with the same performance. If I were buying for myself, I would look for a balanced second stage with user adjustable cracking pressure (almost all have the venturi adjust- a different adjustment). Unless you intend to dive cold water, enviromental seals and pretty much any other "features" are a waste of money. If it comes with it fine but don't spend extra unless you intend to dive cold water. Don't pay extra for one that is "nitrox ready", any reg is fine up to 40% O2. This sales gimick was common a while back but you don't see it as much today. You can ignore the internal design of the first stage. All modern first stages be they piston or diaphram are very well designed and provide performance much greater than any 2 divers need and are both dependable.
In short, find the best price you can on middle of the road model from a well known brand.

If you buy an Apex or Aqualung from an authorized reseller, they have free parts for life. That can be a huge cost savings in the long run. The Legend LX is a great reg that will last for many years to come.

Carrie

just dont buy scubamax, low price but you get what you pay for.crappy service .thay took over two months to repair my reg.

Asking for equipment recommendations here is like asking which way the wind will blow tomorrow. As Herman said...........90% will do for your needs mentioned.

I'd check out the Oceanic Delta 4.1, here's a SB thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/305632-oceanic-delta-4-1-dvt-aqualung-titan-lx.html

If I remember correctly, Atomics was started by some ex Scubapro executives.

Use the search function and you get most of the answers you need here

just dont buy scubamax, low price but you get what you pay for.crappy service .thay took over two months to repair my reg.

Scubamax regs are made in the same "OEM" house as a LOT of the bigger name regs. nothing wrong with them.

saying two months to repair your reg is kinda a blanket statement. I mean, provide some more info on that when making that claim. Like are you sure your LDS didn't ship it somewhere (week shipping) and then back (another week shipping).

like...Did you take it in at the start of dive season which is the "peak season" of rebuilds and repairs? (kinda like taking your lawn mower in to the shop in April when the grass starts to grow and can't figure out why it takes a month to get it back because everyone else has done the same thing.)

or was your LDS on "credit hold" with the manufacturer and couldn't get parts?a

stuff like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom