Regulator for trimix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I read a recent article which stated trimix was becoming increasingly popular even for relatively shallow dives to try and offset the effects of narcosis. It also stated that the diver would be more alert, would notice more, would be a more attentive dive buddy and would remember more after the dive: sounds very appealing!!

So, with this in mind, would be interested in people's views as to how much/ how quickly trimix may catch on ... and as soon, I'll be looking for a new reg, what should I look for to ensure it's trimix compatible? Any model/ brand recommendations would also be appreciated.

Having not yet done a trimix course, I could be wrong...

but I'd assume the reg choice would be influenced by the o2 in the mix rather than the helium since helium is inert. If it's your main reg and will only be used for trimix, the o2 wont go much over about 32% so any reg that is okay for use with nitrox below 40% would work.

However, you do know that "shallow" in trimix terms means at least 30m (~100ft) right? And that you have to also carry a decompression gas in a seperate cylinder? and that since helium exits the body faster it also enters the body faster meaning you can get bent A LOT easier? And that a fill will be roughly 10 times more expensive? (depending on where you live)

Somehow I don't think trimix will catch on for rec diving anytime soon.

There's no such thing as a trimix compatible regulator. Any regulator designed for nitrox will be fine. That basically means no titanium.

Since this is the DIR forum, there are some design concerns that are addressed by Apeks and ScubaPro regs that make them preferable. Namely, that the second stage cover plate can be removed underwater without tools. These are not the only "DIR compatible" regs, however, just the most popular, it seems.

Diving He isn't a big mystery. You don't need any deco bottles for recreational profile dives on TriOx. It on and off gasses quicker, so you need to be more careful with your ascent profiles.

For DIR the class would be Recreational TriOx from GUE. They recommend He in your mix at 80' and deeper.

In DIR there is much less of a cost concern when safety is involved. I think a fill of 30 / 30 in my double 100's about 45 bucks. I've paid 22 for them to be filled with Nitrox before, though I usually pay about 12.

Yes, TriOx is catching on in the recreational level. There a few agencies teaching TriOx for the recreational diver. (TriOx, a mix of Oxygen, Helium and Nitrogen where the Oxygen percentage is higher then 21%)

Mark

TX101:
Having not yet done a trimix course, I could be wrong...

but I'd assume the reg choice would be influenced by the o2 in the mix rather than the helium since helium is inert. If it's your main reg and will only be used for trimix, the o2 wont go much over about 32% so any reg that is okay for use with nitrox below 40% would work.

However, you do know that "shallow" in trimix terms means at least 30m (~100ft) right? And that you have to also carry a decompression gas in a seperate cylinder? and that since helium exits the body faster it also enters the body faster meaning you can get bent A LOT easier? And that a fill will be roughly 10 times more expensive? (depending on where you live)

Somehow I don't think trimix will catch on for rec diving anytime soon.

mweitz:
Yes, TriOx is catching on in the recreational level. There a few agencies teaching TriOx for the recreational diver. (TriOx, a mix of Oxygen, Helium and Nitrogen where the Oxygen percentage is higher then 21%)

Presumably there's not much difference between the maths for Triox and Nitrox? Under the assumption that we're talking rereational diving, that is.

AndyNZ:
Presumably there's not much difference between the maths for Triox and Nitrox? Under the assumption that we're talking rereational diving, that is.
You would think so, but as it turns out the tissue loading properties of helium are different vs. nitrogen. You can't just use your nitrox tables with rec trimix, because they assume the part other than O2 is N2.

You learned that in Recreational TriOx or Tech 1?

Mark

StSomewhere:
You would think so, but as it turns out the tissue loading properties of helium are different vs. nitrogen. You can't just use your nitrox tables with rec trimix, because they assume the part other than O2 is N2.

I can't let the cat out of the bag. JJ will sick GI on me, a fate worse then death .:hanged:

Mark

StSomewhere:
Oops, missed what forum I'm in... :blush:

But feel free to enlighten me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom