Regulator flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

will_tekkie

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi friends..

I was reading in other forum some opinions about how proceed in case a reg get water inside...some of them said that the best idea is just to keep them on air (without dust cap on ) and others say that is better to dry them using air from a tank...what are your opinions/experiences about it?...

will_tekkie:
Hi friends..

I was reading in other forum some opinions about how proceed in case a reg get water inside...some of them said that the best idea is just to keep them on air (without dust cap on ) and others say that is better to dry them using air from a tank...what are your opinions/experiences about it?...

For fresh water, run some air through the reg then remove your HP gauge and hang to allow and trapped moisture out.

For salt I would disassemble and clean.

In either case if your near a year since your last rebuild just have it serviced. (best option!)

Jeff Lane

It's a bad idea to try to dry it without dissaembling the reg. How bad an idea it is depends on the reg. A piston first stage is pretty tolerant of having water in it and won't neccesarily be damaged by operating in a flooded or semi-flooded condition. However the same is not true for many diaphragm reg designs where the incompressible nature of the water can damage the reg.

A flooded "flow by" unbalanced piston reg design will normally end up getting a couple drops of water in the compression chamber where there is essentially no air flow. Consequently the water just sits there and potentially will corrode the piston head and walls of the compression chamber.

With a balanced piston reg the air flow is sufficient to evaporate the water from all the internal areas of the reg but much of the salt usually remains and leads to internal corrosion which can ruin a reg in short order.

By far your best bet is to take the reg in and have it either fully serviced or at least dissasembled and cleaned.

By far your best bet is to take the reg in and have it either fully serviced or at least dissasembled and cleaned.[/QUOTE]

i`m agree with these ideas..unfortunately the most people think a little different...

Those must be the people whose regs I take apart and a tablespoon of water spills out of the first stage. not very good for any reg especially salt.

Back
Top Bottom