Regulator delayed "hissing" noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an older Mares Proton regulator that someone gave me. I hooked it up to a tank just to see if it works at all, and I noticed a funny thing. It breathes fine, but the first stage "hisses" for a short time after taking a breath. It's like there is some kind of delay going on. Is this at all normal? I've never noticed this on any regs I've used.

There are no Mares dealers around here, so unfortunately I can't just bring it in for someone to look at locally.

Ted

Does it leak air or just make a noise? Can you check the Intermediate Pressure?

I've heard some 1st stages make all sorts of noises (usually underwater) due to things like springs, dry o-rings, etc.

Interesting. I don't have an easy way to check IP, and haven't had the reg underwater, but I don't see/hear any leaks.

If it has been sitting for a long time, the seat may have a deeper grove and may a bit of adjustment or possibly replacement.

An IP gauge is a handy gadget, gives you an idea of the operation of the first stage. See the sticky at the top of this forum for checking out a reg.

Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR) | Dive Gear Express®
You can usually pick them up at an LDS for about twice that so its not expensive for a handy item.

Bob

If you can describe what's going on in more detail that would be helpful. You're sure it's the first stage, the part that's attached to the tank, that's making the noise? And it doesn't happen until you take a breath on the 2nd stage, then the 1st stage starts hissing, then does it stop or is it continuous?

A hiss is almost always a leak. Can you fill up a tub with water (bathtub is fine) and put the tank and regulator in the water to look for bubbles?

Bob, I had no idea the IP gauge could be so affordable. I think I will get one. I'll also check out the link posted, thanks!

Halocline, I will try to get it in water this weekend and check out what you are suggesting. Thanks so much for the ideas, will post back what I find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom