Regulator Care - keeping the water out of the 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Either after diving or when changing tanks I have always used a little tank air to blow excess water off the intake inlet and then off the dust cap.

Recently, upon observing what I was doing, a fellow said it's a bad idea to use the tank air to blow excess water off the intake inlet. He said that just blows the water deeper into the 1st stage. Water inside the 1st stage is not good, which we all already know.

Perfectly logical but is that a bad idea? Is it enough water to worry about? What do you do? What is the best thing to do?

Hi Don,

Maybe when you're blowing the air against the dust cap, try to be sure that the dust cap is pointed away from the first stage. This should avoid sending any water droplets towards the first stage.

SF

Don Janni:
Either after diving or when changing tanks I have always used a little tank air to blow excess water off the intake inlet and then off the dust cap.

Recently, upon observing what I was doing, a fellow said it's a bad idea to use the tank air to blow excess water off the intake inlet. He said that just blows the water deeper into the 1st stage. Water inside the 1st stage is not good, which we all already know.

Perfectly logical but is that a bad idea? Is it enough water to worry about? What do you do? What is the best thing to do?

I'd have to agree on the inlet part, but I would still blow off the cap.

ScubaFreak:
Hi Don,

Maybe when you're blowing the air against the dust cap, try to be sure that the dust cap is pointed away from the first stage. This should avoid sending any water droplets towards the first stage.

SF

Help me understand... when I remove the 1st stage from the valve any water that may be around the inlet or drip into the lip of the inlet should not be blown off. Blow off the dist cap only.

So do you just leave the inlet in what ever condition it's in and seal it up with the dry dust cap or attach to the next tank?

Also, since I've been blowing some amount of moisture into the inlet for some 20 dives now, should I worry about that enough to have the 1st stage serviced at this point?

Don Janni:
So do you just leave the inlet in what ever condition it's in and seal it up with the dry dust cap or attach to the next tank?

Also, since I've been blowing some amount of moisture into the inlet for some 20 dives now, should I worry about that enough to have the 1st stage serviced at this point?

I often use a squirt bottle of FW to rinse the 1st stage tank connection before I remove it from the tank. SW is a much bigger threat than FW. If a tank has been exposed to the elements or a boat ride, I crack the valve to blow any water or crud out of the valve before I attach the 1st stage. I usually just use my breath to blow water from the dust cap befor installing it.

If in doubt about what has already gotten into your first, pull the HP hose and see if that connection looks clean. You should see nothing but shiny chrom with a small hole in the middle. If it is clean, it should be OK till scheduled service. If there is any green corrosion, I'd consider an early service.

awap:
I often use a squirt bottle of FW to rinse the 1st stage tank connection before I remove it from the tank. SW is a much bigger threat than FW. If a tank has been exposed to the elements or a boat ride, I crack the valve to blow any water or crud out of the valve before I attach the 1st stage. I usually just use my breath to blow water from the dust cap befor installing it.

If in doubt about what has already gotten into your first, pull the HP hose and see if that connection looks clean. You should see nothing but shiny chrom with a small hole in the middle. If it is clean, it should be OK till scheduled service. If there is any green corrosion, I'd consider an early service.

What he said :wink:

agree with what's stated... and if you have issues go to your local LDS and ask them to show you how to properly do this...

awap:

Agree...

awap:

Disagree... If you see corrosion, it's too late. Service will need to be done, but you will probably already know that without having to look for corrosion. If you get water in the 1st stage, take it in ASAP and let the tech know what happened. THey should be happy to take a look at it for you and rebuild if required. It's too expensive on all fronts to let this go until corrosion tells you that you waited too long.

Post dive I shut off my tank valve and bleed out MOST of the air with my reg purge button. I leave a slight bit of pressure so that when I disconect the yoke from the tank, the positive pressure blows any droplets of water around the connection out of the way.

-Matt

It's really a question of technique. I normally loosen the yoke knob (after purging) holding the 1st stage against the oring. I then open the tap a little and only then incline and rotate the 1st stage. All water around the edges will blow away with no risk of any going into the reg. Close tap & remove 1st stage. Then hold dust cap inclined to oring and pointed away from reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom