Regulator Assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooner1

Reaction score
My wife bought me a new regulator and octo for Christmas. I was disappointed that there were no instructions in the manual for attaching my octo and dive computer to the 1st stage. I am a new diver and was wondering if I need to take this to my FDS (faraway dive shop) to have this done or is it safe to do it myself. I know where everything goes but wasn't sure if it needs to be pressure tested or something else. Also, she bought everything on the internet. If I need to take it to the FDS will they help me?

Do it yourself. If everything is new, you shouldnt have a problem. Take the first stage, remove appropriate port plugs with proper allen wrench for the octo, LP inflator hose, and pressure gauge. Put octo and Lp inflate hose into LP port, and pressure gauge into HP port. Take care so that you dont damage the threads. Tighten slightly with wrench. Hook it up to a cylinder, and check for leaks. If there is one, check the orings on the ends of the hoses, and check to make sure the hoses are tight. Thats it, basically. If you bring it to your LDS (or faraway LDS) they may make a big deal out of it, and charge you something.

Many thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer.

Sooner1:
Many thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer.

I should have added that you should also check to make sure the diaphragms on the second stage is in good order. DO this by sucking in on the second stage with the hose plugged with your finger on the end (obviously not hooked up to first stage, or you could hook it up to first stage and onto a cylinder, just dont turn the cylinder ON). You shouldnt be able to breath (just a puff).

Also, of course, you should check the Intermediate Pressure of the first stage to make sure it is within manufacturer's specs for the particular model. You will need an IP gauge for this to plug into the LP inflate hose.

And, finally a water test to make sure everything is holding presure, with no leaks.

If you dont feel comfortable or able to do all of this before using your equipment (or dont feel that you are qualified, i.e., if you havent been to a service seminare for that particular regulator) you DEFINITELY should bring it to an authorized service technician for the particular brand of reg... they know what they are doing, and will be able to adjust or fine tune your reg if they find anything not in order. If you are not equipped with the proper service manual for the reg, you shouldnt be doing any adjustments on the reg yourself...
SOmetimes, regs need adjustments on the cracking effort, and the IP on the first stage, which is why an authorized service tech should assemble your reg...

There... I think I got everything. I read in another thread that I was incomplete in my original answer, and instead of that individual coming to this thread and posting (MIKE FERRARA) he states it elsewhere....

SO, MIKE, did I miss anything this time????

Back
Top Bottom