reg's for the dive professional

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're gonna work thru a store most prefer you dive what they sell (at least while teaching), usually top of their line. Most sell to their instructors and DMs at a healthy discount.

jeditdog:
If I'm thinking about becoming a Dive Master or Instructor, is there anything I should think about when purchasing a regulator? I thought that maybe this reasoning would make me want to focus on other features than just jaw fatigue.

Students will buy what you have. Buy good quality stuff so your students will be encouraged to buy good quality stuff.

The shop you work for will proably prefer you to wear stuff that they sell..... If it's not your first choice, then make sure that shop gives it to you at cost. :14:

R..

rmannix:
If you're gonna work thru a store most prefer you dive what they sell (at least while teaching), usually top of their line. Most sell to their instructors and DMs at a healthy discount.

Agree. there is no reason to buy the new reg for DM or Instructor stage....

You had better use your position when you are at.....

Wait and get a good deal that you never had before.

Just an FYI but the cost of a regulator for most LDS's is about 40-50% of the MSRP pretty much regardless of brand. The markup tends to be slightly higher on upper end models than lower end models so the price difference at "cost" between the upper and lower ends is fairly small so go with the best if they are making you buy what they sell.

Also, some companies offer really good instructor and DM deals and I have seen top end regs offered to working professionals at prices as low as 30% of MSRP. Some companies also offer really good deals to LDS owners on rental regs, again at prices of maybe 30% of MSRP so you can often piggy back on the shop's purchase of new rental gear.

Work at a dive shop! its awsome...you can even get gear at "keyman" = where it is less expensive then what the shop gets it for. Sometimes 20-25% less then the shop cost. ( But then again working at a dive shop you make less money then some of McDonalds workers....funny world isnt it?)

As a DM or Instructor you will be sharing air very often. So you want a good performing reg without a custom fit dental bite. And if you use octo rather than back-up second stage, get one that will breathe right side up and upside down.

theskull

My point exactly jetidog...working at a diveshop is just as bad, unless you are a gear ***** like myself. I have spent more money at work then I have made...(thats no joke) Working at McDonalds is looking really good, at least this way I can eat...hahahah

As pointed out, most shops want you to dive what they sell.

Back
Top Bottom