Regs for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobyPat

Reaction score
I just finished my OW cert and looking forward to buying the first gear. After reading, I read a lot of reviews and lean towards the Oceanic Alpha 7 diaphragm, since I will be doing most of my diving in cold water. Good choice or does anyone have other suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $200 on my first reg.

As for the BC, I think I will go for a Transpac or the Zeagle Escape (or Scout).

I don't know anything about the regulator you have
mentioned but most people on this board
dive with Apeks, SP, Atomic so it seems

I did a lot of research on this board, at the LDS,
and from other divers...I decided on an Apeks ATX 50 (more
than what you want to spend) and am
very happy with my choice

If you can afford to spend a little more I would
suggest going with one of the above regs.

Which ever one you do decide, make sure it is cold water rated.

ScoobyPat once bubbled...
I just finished my OW cert and looking forward to buying the first gear. After reading, I read a lot of reviews and lean towards the Oceanic Alpha 7 diaphragm, since I will be doing most of my diving in cold water. Good choice or does anyone have other suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $200 on my first reg.

As for the BC, I think I will go for a Transpac or the Zeagle Escape (or Scout).

Hi ScoobyPat,

I have the Oceanic Alpha 7 for my octo and use the Delta 3 for my second stage. I've had no problems with them although I haven't used the octo much. I prefer having an adjustable second stage.
This set is rated for cold water. I'll probably be doing some icediving this winter with it but other than that, 40F is the coldest I've had them in and they were fine.

As mentioned previously, Apeks are also a good reg.

As for the BC, I have a Zeagle Concept II Sport which they don't make anymore but it's very much like the Escape. Zeagle makes a good BC so I don't think you would regret getting a Zeagle.

Diverlady

Alpha 7 is ok depending on which first stage you mate it with. But for the same price, I would recommend going with a sherwood blizzard. It is not technically environmentally sealed, but it does have the dry air bleed system on it. Seeing as you were just certed, I don't think that you will be going too deep with it. My blizzard only started breathing heavier at the deeper depths. But other than that you can't mathc the exhaust tee, and serviceability of a sherwood, not to mention the ruggedness...

Sherwood Blizzard is a very good reg for starters in cold water, but if you want to go deeper once u get more ecperiences u won't be able to use it all that easy.
I bought a Titan as my first reg and I'm planning on getting an atomic b2 in a month or two, and I plan on putting the titan on a pony bottle as a safe second, but for sherwood I doubt if you can do the same(for deep dives).

I guess I will go for the Alpha 7, eventually for an Apeks or SP - I have to draw a line somewhere budget-wise. I don't plan to dive deep (deep is relative, for me deep is beyond 80ft) and don't expect to be diving in less than 40F, which shouldn't be a problem with the diaphragm version.

The reviews of the Alpha 7 on Rosdale's are very good and I will rent one before I buy. :wink:

AFAIK, the diaphragm Alpha 7 will serve you fine, and won't limit you for any kind of recreational diving. However, if you eventually plan to buy a nicer regulator, I'd suggest you buy the nicer regulator now. Unless you have a good use for the regulator you are buying now (hand-me-down etc.) then you will just be needlessly spending the money twice.

To ScoobyPat

the alpha 7 is a very good reg.
Heres a couple of group tests you might find interesting

Budget Regulator Test Results

luxury Regulator Test Results but they also tested the Alha7 just as a bench mark to see how much better these top of the range regs are.

Obviously not every reg on the planet was tested but it's still an eye opener.
Hope that helps.

Stig

Purchase gear that can grow with you. You are probably going to want to get more training and there is a terrible correlation with that and more gear. If you get the right stuff early you could save yourself hard earned money in the future. I would recommend the Transpac II harness (same BC i've had since my OW Cert) because it is comfortable and is less cumbersome than almost any jacket style BC. As for the Reg you do need to get a cold water rated but almost any environmentally sealed (overbalanced diaphram) should be able to do the job. I know nothing about diving in cold water (i.e. below 50 degrees F) but I know that a good reg should be able to take you through most environments without any problems. I would not buy the Zeagle. I have heard too many complaints about it. Hope I have been of some assistance. Now that you are certified Dive safe and dive often and keep your skills up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom