Regarding partial pressure filling and sub 40% nitrox mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirt Pineapple

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I'm using a new shop and they are a partial pressure shop so they wanted my tanks to be o2 cleaned at VIP even though I am filling only to 30%. Does this mean if I ever fill my tanks with air that I will not be able to fill at this new local shop again without having to o2 clean the tanks again?

Correct. Unless they are outfitted to provide oxygen compatible air (OCA).

Correct. Unless they are outfitted to provide oxygen compatible air (OCA).
What are the possible consequences otherwise? Wouldn't using a non o2 clean reg also effect it and introduce containments?

In partial pressure blending, you put in both oxygen and air, so you have no choice but to put air in the tank. If the air in the shop is clean enough for partial pressure blending, it is clean enough to be used for an air fill and still be considered oxygen clean. A shop that fills nitrox through partial pressure should have clean enough air. If the shop tells you otherwise, they are idiots and should be avoided for future use.

Many shops will advertise that they have something they might call "ultrapure" air, and they will tell you that you need to have such a designation for that reason. If you look at the requirements for oxygen service, you will see that they are not much different from the standards for the grade E air required for scuba. The shops in my area just provide grade E air, but analysis shows they meet the standards for oxygen service. Many and perhaps most shops everywhere do as well, without doing anything special.

What are the possible consequences otherwise? Wouldn't using a non o2 clean reg also effect it and introduce containments?
No, because the reg doesn't introduce anything into the cylinder. The reason they need the cylinder O2 clean is because when you are partial pressure blending many shops will start with an "empty" cylinder. it will have ambient pressure of course but that's not really a concern unless the ambient air is crap.

Then they will pump in the needed amount of 100% O2 and top that off with air.

While the vast majority of shops probably pump O2-clean air, unless you see their analysis from a lab, you can't guarantee that the shop filling your cylinder with air doesn't have an issue. So when you take it to be partial pressure blended, that shop needs to have some assurance that hydrocarbons haven't been introduced.

If hydrocarbons have been introduced, and they try to rush the PPB, things could get hot. Very hot.

The reality is that after O2 cleaning and VIP, even the shop doing the PPB might have an issue with their compressor and it's not discovered until after they have filled your cylinder.

And the next time you go for a nitrox fill, if they have discovered this, they may want to O2 clean it again.

And for the record, with less than 40% in the cylinder, any reg is fine.

You don't need to worry about O2 clean regs until you start getting over 50% and I didn't worry about it for my personal regs until I started getting above 80%.

That said, every reg I serviced for my customers was done as if it was going to be used with 100%.
Except for those lower-end ones that O2 compatible kits weren't available for.

Then you also have particle impingement that is just as much a danger as hydrocarbons. It happens when a teeny little piece of something hits some other surface or item in the line, such as an O2 bank regulator, valves, cylinder, etc., and causes just a little spark. That little spark then has 100% O2 to feed it in an enclosed area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom