Regarding PADI Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read this repeatedly, and I am afraid I need more information, because I don't understand it.

You seem to be saying two very different things here, but as if they are in fact one thing. You say your left foot weakness inhibited thrust and underwater maneuverability. It might do that, but there is no requirement for that. Then you talk about that being the reason you are not passing the navigation standard, which is indeed a requirement. That requirement will require you to swim in something like a straight line, but not at any particular speed.

Are you actually saying that you are having trouble following a compass heading, and the instructor is telling you that your left foot weakness is making that more difficult for you? If so, then that is a problem that can be overcome with a little practice. It actually happens with some frequency. I have seen students who are not using the compass correctly swim a tight circle instead of a straight line because of their uneven kicking.
Re the incorrect compass use & tight circle-- What are they seeing on the compass that makes them think they are using it correctly and going in a straight line?

Re the incorrect compass use & tight circle-- What are they seeing on the compass that makes them think they are using it correctly and going in a straight line?
They will typically turn the compass to rather than their bodies.

Huh, I never would've thought of that. Then again, I had no idea what a bicycle kick was 'til I saw one.

I once swam in circles with a compass. It was on a "treasure hunt" during a DAN fundraiser in Ohio. Someone went and bought a lot of costume jewelry at a yard sale or flea market and spread it around the quarry for people to find. Why I didn't think of it at the time, but I had my compass on the same wrist where I was placing all those bracelets and necklaces.

All those cheap, plated ferrous metal bracelets and necklaces.

A dive "buddy" was swimming above me laughing his butt off watching me burn air and not going anywhere. Vis sucked so I was relying solely on the compass. At some point the light bulb went off and I moved the compass from my wrist to the back of my hand. Lo and behold, I got to where I wanted to be!

Back
Top Bottom