? regarding 21+ days in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Blues

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on about 26 days throughout the Philippines and I'm getting mixed messages about having to obtain a visa if I stay more than 21 days? Is this true and if so do I deal with this in country at some consulate or the airport or
in the USA? I'm becoming dazed and confused and haven't even fallen off the boat yet.

Mr. Blues:
I'm planning on about 26 days throughout the Philippines and I'm getting mixed messages about having to obtain a visa if I stay more than 21 days? Is this true and if so do I deal with this in country at some consulate or the airport or
in the USA? I'm becoming dazed and confused and haven't even fallen off the boat yet.

Less than 21 - No Visa required

More than 21 - Visa or get an 'extension stamp" (I'm not sure what the exact term is) at the local immigration office (the Manila one is in Itramurros)

If your going to be away from the city around your 19th, 20th day might as well get a visa before you go to save on the hassle later on. I'm not sure if this is still up to date the last time i visited was 2 years ago.... I'll be back this Jan to visit family...

Ben

Mr. Blues:

Mr Blues,

I travel to the Philippines about 10 - 15 times a year on a us passport and have faced this many times. It is true that you get a 21 day visa upon entry at the airport. All that you need to do if you plan to stay beyond that (up to 59 days) is just pay a fee at the airport when you finally leave. I checked this at the immigration counter in Manila when I was there last week for my son, who will do the exact same thing with an extended vacation this summer to see his grandmother, and the fee upon exiting is 2,200 pesos / ~USD 40. Now, if you want to you could actually apply for the extended visa in your home country or you could take a day out of your trip to queue up for this at the immigration department in the Philippines - I think this would be crazy! In either case you are out a full day of waiting and filling in forms and, especially in the Phils, you are then open to the scams like "oh sir, you are in the wrong place / you have the wrong papers but for a fee I can take care of it for you . . ." Just enjoy your holiday and when it's time to leave say "oops, thought it was 28 days instead of 21" and pay your $40 fee in about 2 minutes. I'm sure that you won't be arrested for overstaying a 21 day tourist visa by 5 days!

Mr. Blues:

I too needed a visa for a 24 day stay this last spring. I didn't want to bother with an extention when I got to there so I used an on-line service which went very well. There is a consulate in San Francisco and DC. It was about $120 in all and the web site gave all the back up information you needed to send with the application. I just didn't want to run afoul of the authorities and not be allowed back in the future. These are the guys I used. You can track your documentation on-line as they process it. You do have to send in your passport and extra photos etc.

www.passportvisaexpress.com

Jason.

Mr Blues,

This really isnt a problem. If you overstay your 21 day visa by a couple of days they will just let you pay upon leaving, if you are very concerned a 2nd logical option would be to inform immigration when you enter the country and pay for the extension there on the spot. I haven't bothered to do this but I would guess it is possible, in fact I'm sure it's possible - unfortunately immigration is known as one of the most corrupt government departments in the Philippines but this may actually be fortunate in your case!

Good luck

Don't worry. You just pay for the extension while you leave at the immigration counter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom